VINE VOICEon 11 January 2010
Having bought and read this book based on the good reviews here I must say I personally disagree. The text is repetitious and smells a little too much of a whitewash with just enough contrary evidence given to play the game of balancing scales. Constantly the author stresses that Sepp did what he had to do in the horrors of war as if to justify his actions and I found this totally uneccessary the first time but in the end I found him protesting a too much. In no way could this be described as a first hand account as many times the author looses himself in his own prose and 'Sepp' is always mentioned in the 3rd person. Also the author starts by stating that he has changed the name of Sepp to protect him so even at the begining I have questioned the value of what I have read. The Russians are likewise treated in a very steriotypical manner and some accaounts appear to be out of place, as in could have happened in 1941 or early 1942 but fail to look into how the Soviet Army changed after this.

On the whole I found the style of the book tiresome in the extreme and found myself fast reading certain sections. It touches reality but in a remote way. Compared to what I consider good memoirs such as 'At Leningrad's Gates: The Combat Memoirs of a Soldier with Army Group North' this book comes out very poorly. In the end this book suits best those who already have an outdated view of the Eastern Front and are pro-German in thinking. By todays standard it is best avoided. I am giving this book 1 star as a waste of my time and money, there are plenty other and much better books out there to waste time with this one.
0Comment| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?