on 6 March 2010
I use an external hard drive to store my thousands of precious photos. After two disastrous experiences with desktop external hard drives, the Transcend is a godsend. Since my Western Digital external hard drive died suddenly after only two years, and the Seagate replacement produced unacceptably loud clicking sounds so I couldn't concentrate on my work, I was in the market for something different.

When I studied reviews for desktop external hard drives nothing stood out for reliability, so I looked at portable devices on Amazon and was immediately attracted by Transcend products. When I looked at reviews for the 500GB StoreJet 2.5 hard drive I was glad to see great reviews for it. I could therefore approach purchasing one with renewed confidence - which I badly needed after my previous experiences.

Right from the start I was impressed. The product was intelligently packaged for protection, neatness and attractiveness. The enclosed literature was absolutely pristine - not a crease nor a finger mark. The drive itself was also in perfect condition and apparently untouched by human hand. The whole presentation made me feel that I had bought something special. I plugged it in and it was instantly recognised and ready to go.

Attractively designed, the drive exudes a reassuring feeling of robustness (which it should because it conforms to military drop test standards). Although I have never done this, I feel it would be completely safe being carried in my handbag or in a suitcase. I had not bought it for portability, but it has opened my mind to this possibility.

Even though my computer dates back to 2002, there is enough power from one USB port to run the device. The Transcend StoreJet 2.5 runs silently and efficiently. It has a power-saving facility which kicks in after ten minutes but it awakens instantly when I go to use it, no matter how long it has been asleep for. So far, it has behaved impeccably and I look forward to many years of good service.
0Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?