4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 3760T, 17 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 3760T 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (Electronics)
For the past seven years I have used a Garmin Street Pilot 111 de lux and would still be using it if Garmin had not stopped updateing maps for it in 2009. So I looked carefully at what was on the Market and narrowed it down to the Garmin 1695,3760T, or 3790. I really wanted the five inch screen which the 1695 has as we use a motorhome and it is some distance from the passenger seat to where the Garmin would be sitting, but ruled it out mostly because as far as we are concerned garmin had tried to produce an all singing all dancing unit 90% of which we would not use. We do about seven thousand miles a year all over Europe and we wanted a good basic clear screened no nonsense navigator.
We turned to the 3760 and 3790, we were not interested in voice controlled so ruled out the 3790 and that left us with the 3760T. Delivered by Amazon very speedly, I got stuck straight into sorting out how it worked. The high resolution screen is a pleasure to look at, it locked into the satelites very quickly so I then carefull read the instructions and linked it to my computer, the computer sorted the drivers and took me through to garmin and found the 3760T without problems. It informed me that I needed to update my maps. This was a long process and took about three hours, but may be faster depending on the speed of your broadband (mine was 4mbs). The update went smoothly and my garmin was up to date and registered with Garmin. The screen was fast, flipping through the menus fast and easy. So far so good.
I am using it on the garmin sandbag type base which we had found worked well with the previous Garmin. So it was out to test on the road. I live in Guernsey, 9miles by 3 miles with a mass of small lanes so a real test for its accuracy where lanes interlink within meters of each other. As soon as I started driving the Garmin updated its traffic monitor (Don't think it applies in Guernsey as I heard nothing more) The navigation accuracy was excellent, although the electronic voice (female) had great difficulty pronouncing Guernsey street names and did miss words at the beginning of some sentencies, not as good as our previous Garmin. The 3D mapping view was excellent and very clear on the high definition screen. ( I still wish Garmin would do a high definition seven inch screen, more useful for motorhomers). This slimline unit can easily be unclipped from its holder and then can be used for city exploring and easily slips into a top pocket, can be used in landscape or portrait. I found it for the most part a pleasure to use. I deliberatly drove off route on a few occasions and its rerouting was accurate and very fast.
I got in touch with Garmin as I had three specific questions.
1)Can I update the mapping on my laptop to the current mapping spec of my new Garmin? The answer was yes and i was sent a list of instructions, the whole download went very smoothly.
2) Can I download all of the waypoints saved on my computer in my old Mapsource 2009 system to my new Garmin 3760T. Yes that should not be a problem. Sure enough instructions came back and that went very smoothly.
3) The instruction do not tell you the max size of the SD, SDHC micro cards the unit can take. Answer came back Max of 16gb and the unit can cope with both Micro SD and Micro SDHC cards.
Garmin's service i have to say was excellent and I now look forward to using the unit accross Europe in 2011.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Jun 2012 16:25:14 BDT
Ian Jones says:
I am thinking of buying "another " sat nav, i have a garmin Zumo 550 at the moment.
This wants £80 for a map update,so i am considering adding a few £ and get a later Nuvi model.
I use it in a motorhome as well and was wondering if you still use it ,and rate this as a good tool to use in a motorhome?
Sometimes it is useful to find a campsite or some other attraction maybe miles away (more than the usual scanning 20 miles from postion)and does this scan farther?
I sometimes find ,if i need to find something farther away, i have to wifi log on to search google earth to find what i need, can this do this sort of thing yet?
Thanks,--

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2012 16:52:44 BDT
Ian
We are very pleased with this model and are still using it. We purchased lifetime updates at the same time through the garmin site for about £70. That covers you for the lifetime of the instrument. The answer to your other question is no, it still only gives you up to about 20 miles, but this doesn't bother us as I have copies of the mapping system on my laptop and in conjunction with Google and the DVD of all the ACSI campsites in Europe, I usually work it out the night before while we are settled on a site and then feed the new waypoints onto the instrument. No it hasn't got wifi capabilities for the internet, but the way garmin were going they may have now introduced it. But after running this model for 18months now, it still suits me perfectly.

If I have one gripe it is the way garmin update. With lifetime mapping its availible for updates about four times a year, but only by download and it takes hours, up to six hours at times on my 8mgbs download speed. Sometimes a lot longer if you want it downloaded to the instrument and the computer.
Hope this helps