on 2 August 2009
This wireless keyboard is unique. A bit tricky to get used to but has some brill features. Word of warning; you might need another mouse and keyboard to boot into Windows to set it up, especially if you're doing a clean Windows install. I'm running it on dual boot XP pro/64 bit Vista Business and it works fine. Keys are a little sensitive. I touch type and some times I will press an unwanted key by a mistake. Scroll feature is great. Don't like the ergonomic v shape design very much but for the price well worth it.
It's plug and play and needs no drivers, that is okay, but it's a pity you can't reasign shortcut keys. But this is not a huge problem because the extra keys it has do just about everything.
One thing I really liked was the fact that all of the main keys are in the standard position and are the standard size, especially the ENTER key.
Some of the shortcut features don't work on my copy of windows, I think you need Media Centre Operating Systems for these, the green button in front of the space bar for example, this does aboslutely nothing for me. Good point about it is that it doesn't get in the way. All of the media player buttons and internet buttons work a treat. The buttons that don't work are some of the function buttons. My favourite function button that does work though is the close program function. The function arming button stays on until you depress it which is good. This button turns the F buttons into differnent uses. Only button I really miss is a sleep button.
Once setup the keyboard works in dos and will boot into your bios if needed. You sometimes have to press the needed key a few times here though.
I needed this keyboard for a cramped situation and it's perfect. You can turn the keyboard off easily, so whilst away your cat or dog won't set of Metalica full volume by walking on your keyboard.
I've not got much experience with laptops so the touchpad is quite new to me. But if you're used to touchpads then you'll have no problem.
As to the battery life, no problems yet a week on with my regular disposable Duracells and a lot of use. There is a low battery warning light that I am yet to see whether or not works. Hopefully not for a long time.
I work with this wireless keyboard on my lap, am using it now. A brilliant keybaord. Go for it.
What's this?