on 1 September 2012
I wasn't sure about this book when I bought it. The Look Inside preview was quite limited and there was no contents page visible which made it a little bit of a gamble purchase, especially as the hardcover edition I bought was quite expensive compared to some of the raising goat book alternatives. Despite this I was tempted. The author had good form with regards to writing about goats with her previous well received book The Year of the Goat: 40, 000 Miles and the Quest for the Perfect Cheese, of which I had read the free preview and had enjoyed what I had seen, so I was hoping to get a readable book that covered all I need to know about raising goats from someone who had a enthusiasm and knowledge for the subject. I was not disappointed.

This book really delivered. I say that as someone who raises pigs, free range chickens and ducks in higher welfare systems and who has read up on more books about raising these farm animals than I have fingers. So I know a good book on raising animals that covers its topic in an informed and clear way when I see one. I also know from experience the kind of information I'm going to need to raise farm animals. So when I say I can't fault the content of this exceptional book you can believe it.

This book comprehensively covers in balance and detail every aspect of goat keeping you will want to know about. And it does so in an interesting and captivating way. The passion of the author has for goats and their wellbeing is apparent throughout and whilst she gives the pros and cons of all the alternative ways of doing things she also says how she herself chooses to raise her goats herself, and why. She also gives you the benefit of her experience when things didn't go quite right and what was learnt as a result. It makes for a practical, and at times, heart warming read. The book is full of the most delightful and engaging photographs of goats, and this is a real plus. The photographs are absolutely stunning and each has text telling the story of what you are looking at which really adds to the interest.

I'm very pleased I bought this book. I've yet to make the decision whether to start raising goats (although after reading this book I'm hugely tempted!), but if I do, I have a resource that will be of immense practical help in every aspect of their raising and welfare.
What's this?