VINE VOICEon 13 December 2012
I bought this as I wanted to add a zoom lens to my kit, and also wanted to play with macro photography a bit more. I shoot with a Nikon D3100, which means if I want auto-focus, I need to buy lenses with a focus motor built in (which this lens does).

I couldn't justify paying out a fortune for a really good Nikon zoom lens, so this seemed a good compromise. For the price paid, I'm delighted with it. It feels solid and well made. The shots I've taken so far have been good (I've uploaded a couple of them to the image gallery, to show the results I was getting even at 300mm - I hope to add a new macro examples soon too)).

Auto-focus is effective enough, fairly quick and, whilst not silent, not too loud; however, at longer focal lengths, it can "hunt" a bit, and it is sometimes just easier to knock it into manual mode; the extra control is nice too. AF is of course nice for quick, easy shots at lower zoom levels, though.

There's no vibration reduction here; you're going to struggle to get very good hand-held shots at long focal lengths, particularly in less than bright conditions, but if you plan to shoot landscapes/nature, you're likely to use a tripod anyway.

When fully extended (especially going into macro mode) the lens is long (even more so with the supplied lens hood fitted).

It has a 62mm filter thread - if you're ordering one, it's probably worth ordering a set of cheap 62mm filters, e.g. Zeikos ZE-FLK62 62mm Professional Multi-Coated Glass Filter Kit, and leaving a UV filter more or less permanently attached, just to protect the front element of the lens (I'd rather a cheap filter be damaged than a lens!).

If you have a bit more budget, you might want to consider something like the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens or something of that calibre, but if you just want to add some flexibility to your kit with a longer zoom range and macro potential, I'd certainly recommend this lens. For the price it's fantastic, and more than sufficient to get some great shots.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
22 Comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?