on 1 October 2013
There have been a lot of negative reviews of Zero Dark Thirty (2012) based on the real-life hunt for Osama bin Laden and those involved in the terrorist attacks by the al-Qaeda against citizens of the USA and other countries. I have to agree that the storyline seems to lack excitement in what should have been an exciting movie but I don't think it's fair to rubbish it and possibly Kathryn Bigelow was trying to prevent the movie turning into one of those all too familiar gung-ho action/thrillers that seem to depart from reality with showers of explosions and buildings collapsing on a regular basis - not to mention car chases. While I admit I know little about what went on following the 9/11 attacks, I can well imagine that it took a lot of tedious investigation and frustration to obtain results; after all, they were dealing with fanatical and religious people who were willing to sacrifice themselves while bombing their victims, not people who would readily sell-out their grannies for a fiver.

Anyway, what do I know about it all except that I thought the movie was pretty decent - it came up to my expectations because I was expecting it to be more drama than action/thriller and so I wasn't disappointed. As for the torture scenes, they were no worse than you would see in many an action movie including James Bond movies.

I have no idea how much 'artistic license' was used in the making of Zero Dark Thirty (2012) but I thought Kathryn Bigelow did a fair job of it. Even so, the Oscar that it won in the 2013 Academy Awards ceremony was for Best Achievement in Sound Editing. The Oscar for Best Motion Picture of the Year (2012) went to Argo, another controversial movie.

I watched Zero Dark Thirty (2012) by way of Blu-ray which I bought online from Amazon.UK. It also came with Ultraviolet. Although the image was fine and the sound great, I was a bit nonplussed as to why, when I inserted the disc, I would get someone speaking to me in French, telling me (I think) to select my language of choice! Also, the symbols relating to the options for the disc were unfamiliar and so it was all a bit of guess-work. There were a few extras with the Blu-ray; the usual stuff about the making of the movie, about the history behind it, about the director and the main character played by Jessica Chastain.

VJ - Movies and Books World