4.0 out of 5 stars Brian McLaren's Thoughts on Christianity in 2012, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha and Mohammed Cross the Road?: Christian Identity in a Multi-faith World (Paperback)
"Why Did Jesus, Moses, The Buddha And Mohammed Cross The Road?"

Brian McLaren here answers his own question: `To Get To The Other'.

The Hard Sell
I was intrigued, and drawn in, but suspected I was in for a bumpy ride: his publishers describe the work as `provocative' and it is tagged `heresy` on amazon, Rob Bell gives him a rave review (not in itself a recommendation):

`The thing I love about Brian is that he's kind and intelligent and funny and easy to talk to and in no time you're deep into conversation until it hits you: this man has a very, very radical message. He actually believes that Jesus and his followers can change the world. This book is no exception - he starts with a joke but quickly you realize just how serious he is about doing what Jesus teaches us to do. Helpful, timely, and really, really inspiring.'

But so does Richard Rohr, whom I much admire:

`I think Brian McLaren is a spiritual genius! Not only does he have the courage to say what must and can be said, but he says it with a deep knowledge of both Scriptures and Tradition, and then says it very well besides - in ways that both the ordinary layperson and the scholar can respect and understand. You can't get any better than that, which is why I call him a genius!'

Brian McLaren has 22 books in print, This one, published on 27 September, is his fourth book published this year. His previous record was three in 2006. He has a website, from which I learnt that he is touring Britain from 29th November- 5th December, organised by Greenbelt. I begin to feel overwhelmed, not to say brow-beaten. And then I begin to read.

The Book Itself
You can read the first two chapters here. The first quarter of the book is taken up with Brian McLaren's main idea, that we should be nicer to those of other religions, and that we should not seek to convert them but rather to find common ground. He expresses the difficulty pithily:

To accept and love God, must I betray my neighbour of another religion? To accept and love my neighbour, must I betray the God of my religion?

He writes of discussions with Jews and Moslems in which he finds that they too regard Jesus as a great teacher and prophet. This seems to come as a surprise to him, and he evidently expects it to come as a surprise to his readership. I doubt, however, whether it would come as a surprise to many Thinking Anglicans, to borrow a label. Thus far, I successfully resisted the charms of Pastor McLaren, while having to frequently stop myself from muttering `this does not describe the attitudes of any Christians I know'. But he is a born story-teller and the pages turned rapidly as I read - I was not tempted to lay it aside.

In passing, McLaren gives an excellent exposition of Pentecostalism:

...three of the deepest secrets [are] humanity, vitality and sincerity. When my friend spoke, he wasn't a `human thinking' addressing humans thinking: he spoke as a feeling human being to fellow feeling human beings of flesh and blood. (p139)...[but] Pentecostals don't own the Holy Spirit.

He then moves on to the sweeping changes he thinks we need to make in our liturgy (and I began to see why he is called provocative, though I can see nothing heretical in what he proposes). In particular, he would like to change the teaching points of the lectionary cycle (pp160-7).

Next, he launches into `All things bright and beautiful' and the iniquities of the (rarely sung) verse (The rich man in his castle, the poor man at his gate, he made them high or lowly and ordered their estate`). He proposes several alternatives (eg All who thirst for justice, who serve among the poor, forging tools for farming, from weapons made for war) - poor Mrs Alexander, a woman of her time and place!

Onwards to his attitude towards homosexuality (pp186-7).

I was the guest of an Evangelical organisation that had an official position against homosexuality...on the other hand, my inherited conservative thinking on the subject had changed, and I was now working to protect people from discrimination rather than add to it.

A sideways excursion into the difference between a table and an altar for the Eucharist, with their different symbolism (pp 196-203).

And so on. The book is like a long fireside conversation with a man who is `aflame with the love of God'. You might have difficulty in getting a word in edgeways, but you would come away reinvigorated and with your love for God rekindled. If that sounds attractive, this is a book you must read.

He ends:

So imagine, then, Jesus, Moses, the Buddha and Mohammed crossing the road to encounter one another. Imagine us following them. What will we discover together in that crossing? Surely, it will be holy and humbling in that sacred space. Surely, there will be joy, grace and peace. Surely, justice, truth and love. We will find hospitality there, not hostility, and friendship, not fear, and it will be good - good for our own well-being, good for the poor and forgotten, good for our grandchildren's grandchildren and good even for the birds of the air and the flowers in the meadow and the fish out at sea. God will say `This is very good'. And we will say. `Amen'.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Dec 2012 13:10:23 GMT
Thanks for your full and thoughtful review
I will now add to my wish list!

Posted on 21 Jun 2013 08:29:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jun 2013 08:31:00 BDT
Onthespot says:
I can't help myself flinching, inwardly, when Jesus is placed alongside Buddha or Mohammed, given who they were and the end results of their teaching. If Jesus is truly who he claims to be - the Son of God, Saviour of the world, true Son of Man - what comparison should we fairly make between Jesus and anyone else that doesn't hold him up as the standard by which they can be assessed? Who is Jesus's equal? Does God's Son have an equal? Does Buddha or Mohammed save the world through teaching withdrawal and meditation, or the power of the physical sword to conquer? I am no expert on world religions, and am assessing these two others not necessarily by the majority of their followers (who may only follow a few of the traditions of their religion), but by the instructions of the original teacher himself and his own example. I haven't read the book but wonder whether your endorsement of it is coloured by your own longing for love to cover a multitude of the errors of other religions that you and the author haven't identified as such ... we can too easily accept each other, thinking we should also therefore accept what each other believe ... but is this what Jesus did?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jun 2013 16:38:11 BDT
Hi Wendy - I am a bit puzzled by this. I understand your saying that you would prefer that Christ, Buddha and Mohammed not be compared to each other as they are not equal. But you then go on to say that, while not an expert on Islam or Buddhism you are judging by the 'instructions' of Buddha and Mohammed and their example to their followers. You summarise Islam as 'the power of the physical sword to conquer', but this is not among the five pillars of Islam - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Pillars_of_Islam.
I would not necessarily describe my review as an endorsement of the book, incidentally, as it is full of reservations and implied criticism. I am even more puzzled, as we have never met, by your characterisation of my 'longing for love' - I have lots of love in my life, I am glad to say! 'The errors of other religions' - rather like motes and beams, I have quite enough to do sorting out the errors in my own to begin to be able to assess the errors in other religions.
'We can too easily accept each other' - is this the nub of your comment? Certainly, I disagree. I think the world would be a wonderful place if we all accepted each other. That is not to say I need to share the beliefs of others. For me, truth is like the elephant in the Mahabharata- your view of it will depend on which part of the elephant you are holding on to - see http://wonderingminstrels.blogspot.co.uk/2003/02/blind-men-and-elephant-john-godfrey.html.
I agree with Bishop Desmond Tutu when he said 'God is not a Christian' . http://www.huffingtonpost.com/desmond-tutu/god-is-not-a-christian_b_869947.html
Finally, perhaps there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090208190649AATvO2y
‹ Previous 1 Next ›