on 20 August 2014
This album has an ironically wonderful, depressing melancholic feel to it which reminds me of some rough times I was going through in the mid-90’s, around the time this album came out. This might be related to sufferers of depression like myself – but I feel somewhat confided in when listening to Goodbye.

Dubstar’s vocalist is from Newcastle and her lyrics are very Northern, albeit downbeat and heart-felt. Minor keys massively tower over major on Goodbye. Dubstar have a strange knack for exposing the listener to shining light before pulling the blinds on them. There are moments of beauty to be found on Disgraceful, as well as darkness. Polestar is a short blast of icy coldness from the North Sea. Say The Worst Thing First discusses relationship woes (“And I will never speak again, my face says everything”) but also seems to revel in it. On Ghost, a track clearly about missing someone, she sighs; “I still cook for two you know.” My Start In Wallsend has a n authentic, catchy acoustic guitar finish; “It all depends on if you speak to me”.

This reminds me of the person I was in 1996/7, and it is wonderful to revisit those times in music, no matter how depressing before I go back to normal life.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink