on 3 May 2009
I bought this camera on recommendation after spending a considerable amount of time reading reviews. My main concern was spending so much on a tape based camera when the market is moving towards solid state. I am delighted I opted for the HV30. The quality is absolutely stunning. I intend to keep all the HDV recorded material archived on tape.

Currently I connect our camera to a Panasonic DMREX78 HDD recorder and transfer from there to DVD. Whilst obviously this is a standard definition transfer, it's so painless - no time consuming format conversion/editing required. Plus the original content is still on tape anyway in full high definition. You will need a Firewire cable for this or indeed for transfer to a PC. None is provided with the camera. Eventually I will purchase a similar HDD BluRay recorder and will repeat the transfer from tape in HDV.

I agree with previous reviewer I am delighted the HV30 still bucks the trend and relies on tried and tested tape technology. I would order an additional battery; you get about an hour or so out of a single charge.

In automatic mode, the camera is so simple to use. The vast majority of people will probably never need to explore the huge range of features. My wife uses the camera very easily. We are more interested in just capturing the moment than spending hours post recording in editing suites. By very modern standards it does have a fair size footprint, but feels comfortable in the hand. I love this camera, one of the best purchases I have ever made.
What's this?