on November 11, 2013
I give this book 3.5 stars.

When I was younger I was addicted to Stephen King books, and devoured 'The Shining', loving every page of it.

Before reading 'Doctor Sleep' I decided to re-read 'The Shining'. One, to recap on what happened, and two, to make sure my memories of it were realistic (I've found over time my thoughts on books change). It was still fantastic.

So, 'Doctor Sleep' had a lot to live up to. And for me it didn't quite make it.

'The Shining' is a horror story, and it was terrifying. 'Doctor Sleep' isn't scary in the slightest.

I really wanted to find out what had happened to Danny as he grew up, and this story was exactly what I wanted. Many have complained, but I thought it was a great idea to have Danny struggle with alcoholism. I very much enjoyed King's writing of Danny's story, it definitely filled the hole I had.

I also loved finding out about the other characters from 'The Shining', seeing where they are, and if they're still around. The references to Joe Hill's NOS4R2 was great too.

My problems with this story started with the True Knot. To me they were boring. I had absolutely no interest in them, and just wanted them to be destroyed. Which was a shame, I should have an interest in the bad guy. I need to hate them, want them to suffer. The description of Rose's 'true face' was more funny than scary. For some reason I had an image of Ziltoid the Omniscient in my head, with his snaggletooth. Not scary at all.

So, the whole idea of this being a horror story was lost on me.

I enjoyed Abra's story, and was very interested and invested in her. My problem was that she was just too powerful. There was no way she was going to lose. Danny was a scared, innocent child in 'The Shining'. He had no idea what to do, or how to do it. Abra just kicked ass. And she had help!

Also, what happened to Tony. He appeared at the beginning of the book, being around Abra. But, then he disappeared. Was he not needed anymore? That was a bit disappointing.

I've glad that this book exists, and I'm glad I have read it. But, it had too much to live up to, and it failed.
11 comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?