VINE VOICEon 10 February 2004
Firstly, I'd just like to point-out that I'm usually a huge fan of Neal Stephenson - 'The Diamond Age' was his first work that I read, and I found the imaginative breadth astounding - 'Snow Crash' remains one of my favourite books, capable of being re-read many times over.
Unfortunately, 'Zodiac' did not live up to my expectations. I found it to be poorly researched (and, although I hesistate to say it, I must consider adding "if at all" to that), and containing some extraordinarily shaky science.
Furthermore, the actions of some of the characters, both main and supporting, are so unbelieveably amateurish as to defeat the reader's suspension of disbelief - a far cry from the usually polished work of the man who almost had me hearing the glossolalia in 'Snow Crash'.
I'd rather not turn this review into a character assassination of this book - some may like it, and I note that other reviews on Amazon have been quite favourable. 'Zodiac' is not Cyberpunk, but also doesn't shine the contemporary thriller category. To be honest I'm not sure what Mr. Stephenson was attempting to achieve with this book, but I'm very very glad that so far he's not repeated what I believe was a mistake.
To be honest - one to avoid. In fact, if you must get this book you can have my copy!
0Comment| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?