on 28 July 2010
I bought this camera while at the airport and benefited from a lower price, I am a canon 1d user but wanted the video and the extra pixels for some of my fashion work, I am very surprised and happy with the build quality of this camera, being a 1d user I had my doubts on the quality of previous lower end camera's for professional work, The Video from what I have shot is super quality, I only wish my skills match what the 7D can do, (hopefully in Time is will get their) many option are available so it should keep amateurs and professionals very happy, Canon have upped their game on this camera, weather sealed, the menu functions great with lots of quick select buttons, shooting at higher ISO doesn't seem to damage the quality too much plus the auto ISO function comes in handy when shooting video and stills when light drops.
The camera handles very well with much less button pushing than other models, the screen looks great also as does the bright viewfinder, there are so many functions on the camera it really pays to have the manual to experiment, though straight out of the box and on Program mode it gives very good results with excellent auto focus and metering, the file size is huge and when shooting raw can fill up a card very quickly though canon have give you the a choice of shooting at 3 different raw size settings, (I still have to try out the lower settings.
I used it in the studio and was very happy with the results, I shot over 800 images and 5 minutes of video and the battery was still going strong.
Having hands like buckets I was surprised at how comfortable it was to us in holiday but as I shoot mostly in vertical (portrait mode) I bought the BG-E7 Battery Grip, this really helps if you shoot portraits and adds weight and balance to the camera when using L series lens, with the added grip you can add another battery which doubles the frames you can shoot, the shutter release button on my grip works great and doesn't feel any different than the on on the camera body (some reviews of the battery grip have noted that its like a hair trigger) I haven't noticed this.

So overall a very fine camera, lots of functions, great image, fast focusing and capture rates of up to 8 frames a sec more or less,
It will definately have a place in my camera bag and be used often.
0Comment| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?