on 17 September 2010
I read most of the reviews of this T.V. movie, some of which were not very favourable and wondered what all the fuss was about.
So when It turned up on television in my part of the world, several years after it was made, I sat down and looked at it.
I am told it was made on a budget of $20 million dollars. The main cast which consisted of Polish actors.It told the the story of John Paul II as a student in Poland during World War II under the Nazi regime and his eventual rise to become Pope in 1978. The movie is three hours long and most of the story takes place in Poland during the war, the joining of the priesthood and becoming Pope comes much later in the film.
Well all I can say is 'what a great story'! some have said you would need to be a Roman Catholic to be interested in its theme - RUBBISH, the movie would appeal to all denominations and all members of the family if you are interested in that era of history at all.
Yes, it has its flaws in production and it certainly is no 'Gone With The Wind' but boring it is not, the three hours for me just flew by as I was glued to my seat. I have often gone to the cinema and forked out good cash based on professional reviews and came away feeling I had been Ripped off. Not so with this little movie, it was a treat.This movie has it all Intrigue, Betrayal, Suspense and even Romance.
I was delighted when I heard that the actors were recalled to reprise their roles for Karol,THE POPE THE MAN which takes us through his Papacy and eventual death. this movie coming in again at three hours was the icing on the cake. So there you have it. I have ordered my copies of these films through Amazon, and I can't wait !
What's this?