on 19 May 2006
I have only acquired this Bible recently, it was recomended by my missionary girlfriend, who found it very helpful. Her comment was, 'do read it, but also read the authorised version of the Bible, like NIV'. Like all the Bibles I have brought, initially, I would read the Genesis chapter 1 and John chapter 1 to see what it is like. My immediate feeling was, 'it is easy reading yet accurate'. Later on, I read the preface and found that the author was giving the same comment!

I understand the views of the puritans, as I am, strictly speaking, is a puritan. I still use the KJV for my Bible study, because I think it is the most faithful English version. However, the reason I use different Bibles it because, different translations give different interpretation and application. I have the amplified version which gives all the possibilities of translation, I have the Bible of my native language, I have the Hebrew and Greek Bible although I have never read them, I have the NIV, which I use for group Bible study, I have a Good News Bible, which is like a older version of the comtempary English. I have the Jerusalem Bible, which is a Catholic Bible, since the Catholic Church has the benefit of the original manuscript, this is more faithful than a all other Bibles.

So, do read different versions of Bibles but also important is to ask the Holy Spirit to guide you.
11 Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.