on December 24, 2002
Having waited quite some time for this game, I rushed out to buy it on the day of release, only to be rather disappointed with the whole affair.
Being a huge fan of GTA3 and latterly, Vice City, I was ecpecting more of the same type of action, only set in photo realistic London. I've never been to London, so I can't really comment on how lifelike it looks, but the graphics while driving are superb...even if it wasnt accurate, it still looks like a real city.
The first thing that got me was the sheer un-userfriendliness of the controls. I was struggling on the first mission when faced with more than one opponent because of the dodgy camerawork. Also, being a PS1 veteran, I'm more used to the D-pad for movement, which isn't an option here, only the fiddly analog controller.
Then, midway through the second level, I encountered a huge bug in the game, when I was able to walk through the wall upstairs in the office area of the bar in Soho, causing the screen to distort badly, Having taken ages to get there, I was more than a little frustrated.
Time may well give me a better impression of this game, but as far as playability goes, its nowhere near as accomplished as GTA.
Play before you buy would be my advice.
What's this?