Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I normally use the Rough Guide series of books, but gave Lonely Planet a try.

I guess one gets used to the structure of a preferred guide, so I was pleasantly surprised at how immediately readable I found this book. Clearly a lot of thought has been given to the likely needs of a typical reader and the layout designed to suit.

I liked: the 25 Top Experiences section - which was not a list of museums and cathedrals, but included Pintxos in San Sebastian & Flamenco in Andalucia (bth of which are personal highlights of my trips); and the What' New section with updates since the previous edition.

The Eat Like a Local 8 page section was very good, and practical. As an example it explained that you should ask for vino de Manzanilla, not just Manzanilla. I can personally confirm that if you ask for the latter you will get chamomile tea! I thought it was my pronunciation.

I also liked the Tips Boxes presented throughout. So typical tips would be: Don't visit the Alambra and Seville Cathedral on the same day - too much to take in; and how you can reserve (cathedral) tickets online to avoid queues.

The Understand Spain section was excellent, and included sections on Spain Today, History, Bull Fighting etc.

I found the maps very clear, including a fold out Barcelona map, and there is a reasonable number of photographs throughout. It is not a photo guide type book, and I was happy with the balance of mostly text.

In summary I was very impressed with this book. It is excellent for both pre-visit reading, and as a traveling companion. Recommended. Looking through the section covering the regions I have visited, the guide gives the feel and details that mirror my experiences.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.