on January 11, 2012
Trophy Hunt is 4th in the Joe Pickett series involving our murder solving game warden sleuth from Wyoming. For me, it's the weakest so far.

Although, like the first 3 it's a very easy read - Joe is an honest and engaging fella - it contains too many loose ends for me. One or two would keep me thinking, but there are so many undeveloped and completed strands that I think there should be a part 2.

This novel begins with cattle mutilations. Whodunnit? Well the townsfolk think it could be aliens, turns out this kind of thing has happened before. Then people are dispatched the same way. The mystery develops with Joe representing Game and Fish on the 'Murder & Mutilation' task-force. Together with his buddy Nate Romanowski, Joe fights his own fight while being obstructed along the way by old nemesis Sheriff Barnum.

I suppose we do learn something new about Joe in this novel: he doesn't like the idea of the paranormal. He constantly waves his hands dismissively when any suggestion of alien or otherworldly involvement is suggested. We also learn something about Mrs Pickett - she is not the stereotypical stay at home, cookie baking Mom. She has her own ambition and this is delightfully woven through the story.

Anyway, only 3* this time for me. I enjoyed the read, but felt there were too many unanswered elements.
What's this?