Learn more Download now Shop now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on October 16, 2003
Flipped
“All I’ve ever wanted is for Juli Baker to leave me alone. For her to back off-you know, just give me some space.” That is the first line of the story Flipped by Wendelin van Draanen. Right from the beginning, the first two lines, you can tell that this is going to be an interesting book. Just from reading the first two lines you have questions to what is going to happen. Will Juli Baker ever “back off?” Will Bryce ever learn to cope with Juli Baker?
Flipped is a heart-warming, different kind of story narrated by two eighth grade kids, Bryce Loski and Julianna Baker. Bryce and Julianna alternate chapters and tell the story from their own point of view. Juli is head over heels for Bryce ever since he moved next door the summer before they were going into second grade. Bryce thinks Juli is extremely annoying, hates her, and does everything he can to avoid her for seven years. One day in eighth grade Juli gives homegrown eggs to Bryce and his family which changes everything. Later Bryce finds out from his grandfather, who is living with him, that Juli has a mentally challenged uncle.
When I first saw this book in the store its cover intrigued me. I wanted to find out what the chick has to do with anything. So I bought it and started to read it. I loved the way the book was written with both the kids telling me their point of view, it involved me in the way where I wanted to choose which character I liked better.
There are so many events and conflicts that take place in this book. Will Bryce ever be nice to Juli and recognize how mean he was being to her for all these years? Will Juli accept his apology? What do the eggs have to do with anything? To anyone who wants to find answers to these questions and loves realistic fiction I recommend this book Flipped to you. I truly believe this book will leave you wanting more.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink