on 5 April 2014
I got about as far as where the new age hippy is lecturing the pope before I fell asleep. You don't need Mogadon with this book, folks!
Hereward, one of the great heroes of England, is portrayed as Conan the Barbarian, but the book isn't as well written or as much fun as the Conan stories.
Basically Mr Binns has sexed up Kingsley's Hereward the Wake novel from the 19th century - lashings of ultra-violence and a bit of the old in out, but he can't write as well. I bet in a 100 years time you'll still be able to get hold of Charles Kingsley's works but I doubt very much that you'll be able to find this one.
And why is it boring, turgid books like this are always about two inches thick?
Granted, nothing much is known about Hereward, but we know a fair bit about the period in general. Did they really have massive double-headed battleaxes in the 11th Century, and did Welsh warriors (who were Christians a long time before the Anglo-Saxons) really carry the severed heads of their enemies on their saddles? I might be wrong but I thought that was something that happened hundreds of years before.
No offence to Mr Binns - we've all got to make a living, and no offence to those that enjoyed this book, and I'm sure in other respects they adjust well to life - but I didn't like this book although I'm interested in this period of history. I don't think it's very well written and it didn't hold my attention.
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?