on 1 August 2008
This was the first GU CD I'd bought in awhile, as the series seemed to be disappearing into a listless progressive void. Then Nick Warren comes along and changes my perception of GU and him as a DJ forever. Sneaky fecker!
I'm a sucker - I keep buying CDs on a whim, to the point that my living room is creaking. Included in this huge collection, is a substantial amount of progressive house. Sure there are some gems in the collection - Fundacion, Sequential Vol. 2, Therapy Sessions, etc, etc, but much of it has been stuck on to I-tunes to be heard once in a blue moon. It's due to lack of originality and imagination. Progressive house doesn't progress anymore!! Now though, the dying flames of my love affair have been fanned.

CD1 is imaginative and refreshing. It breathes life into the genre and the choice of tracks is faultless. Warren chooses to splice a number of tracks with others (a trait that has been much-copied since) to great effect, adding new dimensions to individual works.

CD2 is more run of the mill progressive house, but it's energetic and funky and merits a fairly regular listen.

For me it's all about CD1 and on its merits, I've ordered GU Shanghai. I wait with baited breath.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink