on 24 January 2011
I came across an article about Washed Out in Uncut magazine, so I went on YouTube and did a search for some of his music. I came across the fourth track on this EP, 'Feel It All Around', and on the strength of that I ordered this EP. 'Feel It All Around' and the EP's opening track, 'Get Up', are definitely the standouts. But I have to say I enjoyed all of this.

I should outline my musical tastes and explain what it was that I enjoyed about this EP. I listen to a lot of electronic music, and have a particular fondness for ambient music, such as Aphex Twin's two Selected Ambient Works albums, The Orb, Future Sound of London, Brian Eno and Tangerine Dream. I also have a strong liking for atmospheric electronic music, such as Boards of Canada, and rock music of a similar persuasion (of which My Bloody Valentine's Loveless would be the standout example). "Life of Leisure" is not ambient music, as the music has a beat propulsion and general momentum that is not found in ambient - it's too quick for that. So I would definitely categorise this as electronic dance music. But, having said that, it is very atmospheric and ethereal. And it's very laidback and relaxing, and sounds like the musical version of someone's dream state. It's very much lo fi, with the vocals pushed back into the mix, and there's more than a nod to 1980s synth pop.

So if that doesn't sound like your sort of thing, stay away. But if that does sounds interesting to you, I certainly recommend this. I found this EP a beautiful 17 minute listening experience. And I'll certainly be buying Washed Out's debut LP when it gets released sometime in 2011.
0Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details