on 7 December 2013
I was originally introduced to Liz Trenow's novels when I had the opportunity to read her first book The Last Telegram, which is a truly stunning book, so if you haven't read it already then please do! Knowing how much I'd enjoyed The Last Telegram, I was very much looking forward to The Forgotten Seamstress.

Caroline Meadows discovers a stunning quilt whilst she is clearing her mother's attic, and begins a search to find out the origins of this mysterious quilt, who made it? And what is the meaning of the message embroidered into the quilt? Many years earlier - Maria, an extraordinary seamstress, is employed to work for the Royal Family. Maria is young and attractive, and soon catches the attention of the Prince of Wales, and she is equally as intrigued by him. But this connection soon leads to trouble for Maria and her life takes a sudden unexpected turn. Will Caroline be able to find out about the quilt and discover what happened to Maria?

I LOVED this ever so much. The detail in this story is STUNNING. It is rich with description and the historical aspect is so very well written, I felt as though I had been transported back in time with Maria.

The concept of the quilt was fantastic. The descriptions were so beautiful and I could almost feel the textures of the quilt and I could picture it so vividly in my mind. I was so fascinated by the quilt and the history and meaning behind it, and I was hooked to the story wanting to read on to find out how the quilt came to be made, how it came to be in Caroline's mothers attic - I wanted to know everything about it, and then hold it close to me and never let go!

Maria was such a great character, even though we were reading things in the form of old cassette tapes and taped interviews, I felt very close to Maria and it was like I was sat next to her, hearing her talk about what had happened in her life. There are so many emotions that I went through whilst reading this. Maria's story is so intriguing, fascinating and heartbreaking at the same time. There came a point in the book where I went from shock to tears in my eyes to full-on sobbing in a matter of minutes, my heart ached so much for her.

Liz Trenow is SUCH a talented writer, she effortlessly weaves in many characters and connects their lives together to create a story that is truly exceptional. I would thoroughly recommend this.
What's this?