5.0 out of 5 stars Wacom Intuous Pro Medium On PC Windows 7, Fantastic Bit of Kit., 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Wacom PTH-651-ENES Intuos Pro Graphics Tablet - Medium, Black (Personal Computers)
The Wacom Intuous Pro was a purchase that I did not enter into easily. Whenever I buy anything over a certain price bracket I will always research it. I started by looking at peoples feedback on here. The star rating threw me and peoples negative/constructive feedback cast some doubt in my mind. I have used a friends Wacom Bamboo and Graphite over the years, I'm a Graphic designer so not everything requires me to use a Digital Tablet exclusively. However I thought it time to buy one for myself and invest some time into using it.

One thing that struck me about the reviews whether positive or negative. People never really stipulated what platform they had issues with the product on, operating system or what driver versions etc. So going to Wacoms forum gave me litle to go off in terms of resolving the issue (If I would have experienced any). Nobody wants to buy a product and have endless issues with it. However I took the plunge and I am so glad I did. I have had the Intuous Pro for little over a week now, not long enough to form a real opinion but wanted to log my positive experiences thus far. As I have used it every day for 5 hours + on a Branding Project.

So currently I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, with all the latest updates. Below is a list of my system specs all running
the latest updates as of 26/12/14. I run AVAST Anti Virus in gaming/Silent Mode. The Wacom Drivers version is 6.3.7-6, this appears very stable and I have not had any issues to cause concern. One thing that I did notice was when I had the wireless kit running from a USB port around the back of my PC. The cursor stopped in CS4 illustrator, I was required to restart the tablet to get it functioning again. To remedy this I just used it on a front panel USB, not had the issue since. I have discussed this with a friend who has also had a similar problem. Had no problems of any sort just running on the USB cable. EDIT: I experienced the disconnection with the wireless kit issue on a number of occasions so posted on the Wacom forums. The problem has never occurred since. Basically I moved my PC case a little closer to my desk as the signal may have been getting blocked as I have all manner of electronics on there. Speakers, mobile phone etc.

System Spec:

Corsair 1200W CMPSU
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3
Samsung 12X BDROM SH-B123L

The Tablet
The lovely build quality and the superb feel of its surface is stunning. As mentioned I have used a Graphite and a Bamboo previously but these were A5 versions. Functional and appropriate for the work I was doing but using a larger drawing area and a slightly textured surface is a huge improvement. Drawing feels much more natural as I can really activate the use of my elbow now and not rely on my wrist for drawing. Everybodies technique is different but I found a medium perfect for me. I use it on a Dell ultrasharp 24" monitor and they work well together.

Function Keys and Pen
Function keys have been left to run as default at the moment, I still find myself reaching for the keyboard as I'm a bit of a shortcut junky. However certain keystrokes can be added to the function buttons if required. I find that I have no real use for the touch feature (yet), possibly because I'm racing through a project at the moment and using the tablet purely for drawing out logos. Once I have more time to explore the other features maybe it will be a useful function. The zoom dial works well and I find it more accurate and much quicker to use keyboard shortcuts. After using keyboards shortcuts for 15+ years it is a hard habit to break.

The pen is a good weight and is textured beautifully. It is a little broad at the tip, something I'm not used to but it works well and I have adapted to it. It still allows you to apply a broad range of pressure though with ease. From delicate to a heavy handed sweep it delivers it accurately and with nil lag. I have large hands and think it would accomodate small hands just as well.

If you have considered buying one of these and have been deterred due to other peoples bad experiences, then definately take the plunge. Amazon are a great retailer and if you come across issues you can always return the product. There are so many different configurations and OS systems out there it is likely some will run into problems. It is an amazing bit of kit and has aided my production of logos and drawings within illustrator. I have yet to be let loose in photoshop. I do hope you find this somewhat long winded review of some use.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Jan 2014, 17:30:17 GMT
Aldo Sterone says:
Nice review! Thank you for sharing.

How long does it take to learn how to use it and be comfortable with it?

I would like to buy one but I am wondering about the learning curve.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2014, 11:33:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jul 2014, 16:33:17 BST
Thanks Amine,

If you have never used a tablet previously it can be a little strange to adapt to. If you are an artist or an illustrator transferring to a digital tablet and pen would be familiar in some sense. For actual painting in photoshop or drawing in illustrator. To use for all creative suite applications might take some getting used to, ie: using to design within Indesign.

Say you want to navigate windows or menus in a program you hover the pen over the tablet. So adjusting to the height it hovers at etc gets some getting used to. I find myself switching between mouse etc at times. A habit I need to break free from. However for pure illustrator work is pretty intuitive and allows so much more freedom. Bezier curves etc and using the paintbrush is stunning. One thing you will need to set up or amend are the brushes to work with the paint brush so they utilise the pressure aspect of the pen. So the pressure you apply affects line sensitivity. It removes the need to simulate line weight with the varying water colour or paint brushes.

It wil be different for everybody but I would say you can pick it up pretty easily. The actual weight and texture of the pen and the solid plastic surface will be one thing that you will need to get used too. Like anything new, stick with it and it will be rewarding. Even if you use it solely for drawing you may find yourself exploring it's use for navigating your operating system etc. It is all about customising the pen and tablet to suite your needs, for the appropriate programs. Whether buttons are assigned to single click or double click etc. Same applies with the shortcut buttons. I also did a search on you tube for peoples reviews and also to see product relation to hand size etc.

This guys runs through some of the features pretty well.

I'm often guilty of wanting the premium in any product range I buy, even if I won't utilise all of the products features. So I exercised some constraint and glad I did as medium is perfect for me.

Damian

Posted on 8 Feb 2014, 10:11:43 GMT
Oyster says:
Thank you for spending the time to write such a helpful and comprehensive review, it has helped me enormously because I like you research these thing s to the n'th degree and I have been umming and ahing for months, no actually years, over whether or not to buy one of these tablets and yes I'm now going to go for it.

Posted on 25 Apr 2014, 13:01:03 BST
Teknofile says:
If only all tech reviews could be so lucid, detailed and informative.
Thanks! :D

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2014, 15:20:50 BST
Last edited by the author on 11 Jul 2014, 15:21:24 BST
Oyster; so did you get one? If so how are you finding it? I too am considerring buying one for photo editing

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2014, 17:06:40 BST
Oyster says:
In answer to Paul J Clements question, 'Did I get one', Oh yes I did get one and I'm really pleased with it, it's the Bee's middle leg joint..!! I'm am using it for Photo editing and the amount of control you have is absolutely phenomenal, its just like a real pen or brush. I've used it mainly for 'selecting' parts of an image to cut out and the fine pen like control is really great. But I have also used it in brush mode to paint in bits of sky etc where the variable pressure gives a really professional affect. The only thing that does annoy me with it is, WHY THE HELL DID I WAIT SO LONG BEFORE BUYING IT...!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2014, 11:00:20 BST
many thanks for that, I shall get one, I just have to save a month or two.

Posted on 14 Sep 2014, 21:10:35 BST
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I have mine on order now!

Posted on 22 Feb 2017, 15:34:33 GMT
Hi,
I have read your review with interest. Have you had any experience using it with photoshop yet?
Photoshop Cafe have just released a review of the uploaded NEW WACOM intuos pro tablet.
I had assumed that the "NEW" version was the one that would appear here on Amazon but
going by the date of your review it appears not.
I was wondering if you had any personal knowledge of any differences.

John

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2017, 18:23:45 GMT
Oyster says:
Sorry John, I have no idea of the NEW WACOM intuos pro tablet. I have used the one I have with Photoshop and it works a treat, so I have not thought of any replacement tablet, (why would I?). But I would guess that if its a new version of my tablet I would think it would be better than the version I have, the problem I have though is, How?
Oyster