on 15 August 2013
What a treat this was. I've had my eye on this series for a while now. Doesn't it have the most fabulous cover art? Thankfully, I found the inside of the book just as appealing as the outside. If you like any of the following in your urban fantasy, you should get along with this book (and series) very well:

Sensible, non-stupid protagonist
Interesting, complex and well-written secondary characters
Just enough romance to appeal, without overtaking
Villains you kinda-sorta have a crush on on the sly
Interesting hierarchies within the supernatural community
Magicky woo woo stuff
A well-plotted mystery with a thrilling conclusion
Vibrant and easy to visualize setting
Great dialogue and engaging narration
Wizards, weres, vamps, shapeshifters, and my favourite of all: historical undeads kept alive by the magic of memory (so. freaking. cool!)

If you don't like any of those things...WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Just kidding. But seriously, this is a great start and I enjoyed Drusilla - DJ - Jaco very much. I also have my beady eye on the hunk of man goodness that is Alex, and Jean Lafitte? What an interesting fellow. I'll reserve judgement on him for now until I delve deeper into his delicious undead brain.

Ew...

I also really enjoyed the focus being on wizards for a change. And a female wizard to boot. Such a great idea to have your main character have an almost limitless potential for awesome. As long as she knows the spell for it, and can summon enough power, she can do pretty much anything. Which is so much more exciting than if she were, say, a werewolf or something.

What can you do? I can be a wolf.

What can you do? ANYTHING!

Which would you pick? Yeah, me too.

So I hope I've convinced you to go check it out. It should be on the shelf of every UF lover, without exception. I will not accept excuses.

4 Stars ★★★★