on 17 April 2014
I do not often read books of the genre - making my insight rather limited. Blood and Justice is the first book in a series, about private investigators Jake and Annie Lincoln. They attempt to solve a kidnapping and some murders.

Firstly, this book was interesting and gave a good insight into the mind of a serial killer/psychopath, or at least how the author imagined it to be. All characters were given a distinct personality.

This book provides an insight into a modern murder mystery, which is refreshing as most crime novels are Christiesque, or at least popular ones.

I'm interested in getting the next novel in the series, though I am slightly put off by how only the two investigators remain from the last book, but I assume this is common in the crime genre.

However, the author persistently spells cheque as check, which is annoying, and I feel should have been changed by a proof reader - it seems like spellchecker has ben used to look for errors...

Furthermore, as we know the identity of the criminal, most of the tension at the end of the story was lost, leaving us wth an ending that felt unsatisfactory. Also, the resolution of the crime felt too short, I would have liked a few more chapters... The epilogues weren't enough.

All in all, a very good read and I would recommend this book, but it is spoilt by the ending parts. But, that technique was interesting, and allowed for a better insight into those characters, and a realer story. The author must find their own way to remedy this. I wish you luck in future books, and go off to buy the next one!
22 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?