on 24 March 2013
I'm a gamer in my early 30s. I've been playing games since the early 80s and needless to say things have changed a lot since then. I find myself frequently disillusioned with modern games. I have a huge collection of games I've barely touched regardless of critical acclaim. It's easy to think I've grown out of them, then a game like Vanquish comes along.

I picked it up one drunken night when I went on an Amazon spending spree of discounted Xbox games. It had decent reviews so seemed worth a squirt. It's worth a lot of squirts.

In many ways it's an old school shooter brought into the modern age. The graphics are pretty poor to be honest but possess a certain charm, especially the scale with which the game is set despite being completely on rails. The weapon upgrade system is highly rewarding as are the frequent boss battles. Even better for someone like me I can finish the game without needing to quit my day job. It takes a matter of hours (ignoring the obvious replay-ability). It's just relentless fun with plenty of checkpoints so you never have to really rage after dying (and you will).

So to cut it short, this game deserves a purchase for just a few quid. Worthy of a few hours of anyone's time and certainly worth giving the developers some royalties.
What's this?