on 10 December 2008
Let's not get over-excited about this; the original UK list price was something like £40 which was ridiculous but for £17.99 it's not bad. This is my 3rd set of Altec Lansing speakers, I already own an IM9 and IM500 but I wanted something to plug into my laptop when I give presentations and lectures so the Orbit looked ideal, which it is.

The sound quality is good considering the size and the volume goes up quite high but don't be misled by promises of a surprising amount of bass - there really is no bass response to speak of although the sound quality varies depending on the surface you put the Orbit on.

I agree with all the complaints about the fiddly controls; it's difficult to open the back to put the batteries in and it's even harder to turn it on and off. Maybe everyone at Altec Lansing has small, clammy hands so they can grip polished surfaces easily but I've got big hands and I bought this in the middle of winter when my hands were cold and dry and there is absolutely nothing to get a grip on! Both my other Altec Lansing speakers have a timer so if they detect no input for a couple of minutes they switch themselves off which might have been nice for the Orbit but every nice-to-have, like an LED to tell you it's on, or a mains power option has been sacrificed to keep the cost down.

Pros: cute, cheap and loud.

Cons: impossible to operate for anyone over the age of 12.
7 people found this helpful