on 3 September 2013
I must confess to an affection for Pink: I taught in the same church (Stornoway), perhaps sat in the same chair, as did Mr Pink. Since coming to Christ, I have been guided by his writings, finding them lucid and in conformity to the central truths of God's holy Word. I am approaching 73, and have not tired of him.
A word of caution! It is surely fine to strive to comprehend all that our dear Lord reveals. It is equally true that we must not assume an air of 'doctrinal superiority' over those who cannot (will not?) see what we see. Those of us who genuinely submit to God, and praise Him every day in a spirit of holiness, must be patient with our brothers and sisters. We must humbly desire their fellowship, guiding where and as we might, and avoid being 'doctrinaire'. I am Scottish, and have long (and, I trust, gently) contended with those of a 'high' Calvinistic flavour. In many respects I have discovered my 'Arminian' beloved to have a warmer, more vital faith in the living God. The doctrine of election ought leave us humble and contrite, that WE, who lay in the cold, dark gutters of despondency, have received the gift of life and joy unspeakable. This doctrine has been revealed to keep us in our place by showing how great God really is to enter into a covenant of life with contemptible creatures such as us. In his writings, A.W. Pink reveals he is perhaps the last of the latter Puritans, and, as such, demands a place in our dust-free shelves.. He is well-worth the read.
What's this?