Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 28 September 2012
I bought this game a year ago when it was released in the USA (thanks Americans for the beta test :) ). I have been playing it almost every day since then.

I am in my 40's and have until this game never properly played guitar, I had always owned one and had the best intentions to learn to play but never found the time and when I did try lost motivation to play by myself pretty quickly. Rocksmith gave me the motivation I needed to get my teeth into something I had always felt I should be good at.

Ill get the negatives out of the way, as a game its not perfect by any means. Its not Guitar Hero or Rockband, superficially it might look like them but in gaming terms there is not a great deal here to speak of. It does have a career mode of sorts, it gives a you a set of songs to play (you can change them if you dont like the songs) you have to "qualify" each song, that is play it to a certain standard and once you have done this you get to perform the event. Any kind of progress in the game gives you points and these add up to levels, it naturally goes up to level 11 :). Apart from the arcade based practice tools thats about it. Dont let that put you off though, the amazing feeling of satisfaction you get when you finally master your first song is plenty to keep you wanting more and more.

Now we come to a sore point, lag. I dont suffer from it but I have seen that others have had problems. There is actually no lag coming from you xbox or PS3, the lag is down to your TV. Most people have their console connected with a HDMI cable, this gets blamed for a lot of the lag, this is mostly wrong. Most of the lag you will see (the really bad stuff) is caused by the digital processing of the audio signal that is being done inside your TV. Some TV's are a lot worse than othere, a lot of modern TV's have a game mode setting which will eliminate most of if not all the problem. Failing that I have found on some TV's that turning off the audio effects in the TV settings menu does the same job. If you own an XBOX you can use the old style AV cables to connect the sound outputs directly to a decent set of speakers, this gives the best experience.

One thing to remember with this game is that essentially, its not a game. It looks like one, walks like one and quacks like one but its better thought of as a practice tool. It can teach you to play guitar all by itself, you wont be very good but you will be able to play. To get the most from this either get guitar lessons or use web resources like JustinGuitar.com and use Rocksmith as a great motivational practice tool :)

One other negative is that you will be very poor if you really get into this, I am now up to 3 electric guitars, 1 acoustic and 1 bass...... You have been warned!

***ADDITIONAL****

For those that are going to get Rocksmith I thought you should know that although the game checks your tuning before each song its actually a bit forgiving, you can be pretty out of tune and it will let you play. You can hit the A button while checking for the precision tuner but thats more hassle. I got one of these clip on tuners Snark Clip On Chromatic Guitar Tuner - Metallic Blue This will let you check your tuning faster and with more accuracy than the in game tuner. :)

If I think of anything else useful I'll add it here later.
22 Comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?