Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now shop by look Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 November 2009
If you are looking for a well-plotted and well-written thriller to while away the hours of a long flight, this offering might suit you very well. It is a very promising debut novel, and it is to be the first of a `thrillogy', which must mean that we can look forward to two sequels. However the really intriguing thing about the book is that the action centres on the invention of instantaneous transportation, something that will of course make long flights a thing of the past.

This author likes detail. That is fine by me because so do I, but there is just a risk that you might find the heroine's earnest speechifying a little lengthy in the first half of the story. She explains the gee-whizz `science' of the new technology with great particularity, and she points out the enormous downside consequences that flow from it if we stop to think about it even for a moment or two. The rest of the first half introduces the two chief male actors to us, and I found the characterisation quite convincing all the way through, including some important new entrants later on. I was not so keen on the reach-me-down device of having identical twins to help out the plot near the end, because this is just a bit too facile and predictable. However the narrative line is extremely clear throughout, except of course where the author wants to keep us guessing for a while, which in general he does very well.

The story starts vividly, and a major bonus for me was setting much of the action in Iceland, because I have actually been there, although only to Rejkjavik and Keflavik (plus a hair-raising flight past the then new volcano Surtsey) and not to the interior. The pace slackens for a while, but when the action really starts half way along it hardly lets up until the end. This writer knows what he is doing, and I enjoyed the ride he was taking me on. How many more years of long flights I have in me I have no idea, but given a following wind I know where to look for an interesting and agreeable travelling companion on my way to two future destinations.
2 people found this helpful