on 2 October 2004
I think I was in sixth form when this (and most of the other seminal Creation releases of the early nineties) came out, and had been on my usual Monday lunchtime trip to the local record store (though those were the days when I used to buy everything on tape so that I could listen on my walkman). Heading back to school, I popped the tape into the machine and hit play. What followed was an experience which forced me to totally re-evaluate what could be done with a load of old Fender guitars, a few amps and samplers, and several hundred grand of Alan McGee's money (and, apparently, a few tents to record in). I almost missed double table tennis. Never before had my ears been torn off so comprehensively by searing edges and waves of distortion saturated to the point of unrecognisability. But enough with the Melody Maker thesaurus abuse ...
A thought for the prospective buyer: Look at this and the other reviews, all of which, I'm sure will reinforce what I am saying. This is a truly groundbreaking album; can you afford not to own it ?
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?