4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, but not great like Faith Divides Us..., 12 May 2012
This review is from: Tragic Idol (Audio CD)
There are Paradise Lost fans I consider their opinion, and then there are Paradise Lost fans who I really don't take seriously, ie, the ones who don't like Lost Paradise but think One Second and Host are amazing... I've found that the most narrow minded Paradise Lost fans are actually the ones who don't like Lost Paradise, their opinions on a PL album is based on how commercial the album sounds, or how 'cool' it is (in reading an amazon review for Lost Paradise, the girl gave the CD one star and said -- "It's just not cool guys"), whereas those who like all PL albums, from the Frozen Illusion demo onward, there opinion is broadly based on quality, riffs and song writing, thus those are the opinions I take into consideration...
So when there was all the excitement of 'Omg, the new PL is the best!' I knew I'd have to wait until I heard it myself before I got excited... or at least wait for the opinion of a proper PL fan. So...

With the fact that "In Requiem" was easily their best since "Draconian Times", and arguably their best since "Icon", as well as the fact that "Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us" was / is my personal favourite PL album since "Gothic", as well as being one of my favourite albums', by any band, of all time, "Tragic Idol" was extremely anticipated by yours truly, but did it live up to expectations though?

Well...

The first song came on and I was scared. It was beautiful. Their doomiest song, since what, "Rotting Misery"!? Bliss! I thought to myself: Dear Lord! This could be their best effort since "Gothic". All it needs to do is better "Faith Divides Us" and this is going to be a masterpiece... The opening track is excellent, and set us on the way to another complete PL album... But even though (most) of the other tracks are really good, not too many live up to the standards of the opening track, or the tracks from the last album. The only song on the last album that I didn't think deserve six starts out of five was the title track, which was somewhat mediocre, but with so many other great songs, it was ok. This time around though, I feel the standard has dropped a little and only a few actually blew me away ie. "Solitary One" & "Theories From Another World". The rest were either pretty cool or in the case of the title track and "Worth Fighting For", two filler tracks that truly sound like b-sides.
Maybe I'm being a little harsh on the title track, but then again, maybe not. But "Worth Fighting For", god lord, is a song I hope they never play live, especially when they're so insistant on pretending they were never a death/doom band, and the first two albums really didn't exist, much to the delight of all their feminine fanbase.

Overall...

What Paradise Lost have done here with the follow up to "Faith Divides Us", is what they did with the follow up to "Icon". They did something, somewhat similar to the previous album, but dropped the intensity, and replaced the doomier riffs with more melodic lead lines. Where "Icon" and "Faith Divides Us" were heavy doom monsters, with depressive riffs and gothic melodies, "Draconian Times" and "Tragic Idol" are a lot more 'catchy' in a poppier way and less riff heavy, with more of a focus on melody. For some, that's great, for me, not so much as I'm more interested in their heavier/emotional side. But on the whole, both are great albums, but this is certainly not as good as "Faith Divides Us", and had it not been for "Solitary One" and "Theories From Another World", I'd probably have said "In Requiem" was better too.

In addition, the two bonus tracks (one original and one cover) are really not worth the time. Rather futile, although I do admit, I don't even remember what the b-side/bonus original track sounds like, whereas the bonus track on "Faith Divides Us" not only stuck with me straight away, and til this day, but it's one of the best songs on a damn near perfect album.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 May 2012 12:46:47 BDT
JohnInBlack says:
Although you make some good points in your review there is no need to be so derisory to other PL fans. Some of like Host, One Second as well as Gothic and Icon etc. This not being feminine as you put it but a case of being open minded to a bands output. Just because it differs from your viewpoint it doesnt mean it is wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2012 22:15:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2012 22:22:07 BDT
Fair enough, yes. I agree with you, there's no right or wrong, and usually that's how I like to present my case, only I've grown increasingly annoyed at the lack of respect early Paradise Lost recieves, and seeing them live a couple of weeks ago, was one of the most boring things I've ever watched. The setlist was bland, predictable, light and just not enthralling whatsoever. I feel the band still deliver on the albums, even though Tragic Idol, imo could've been a lot better, but live they've lost it completely. And I didn't actually dislike One Second or Host, but I've just been put off by how fans of that era continue to talk trash on their death/doon era, and how the band as a collective seem to only cater for that side of their fanbase.
In addition, the last three PL albums have been doom albums, varying in heaviness, yet live they've not really catered to that darker, heavier side of their music and I feel that's because they now feel it's more important to cater for the fans of their poppier material. Their live show just does not reflect their last three albums on the whole. I love the band, but the attitude of all the members, minus Greg, irritates me.
There's no right or wrong, sure, it's all art...

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 13:37:57 BDT
JohnInBlack says:
This is a prime example of how no two people hear an album in the same way or view the history of a band with the same perspective. I became aware of PL when they released their "best of" Reflection. Being at that time mostly anti-Metal I got into PL & Theatre Of Tragedy. I have only seen PL live once but was very impressed with them and I like the live DVD's. My feeling is that many fans like the pre One Second albums but felt the band started losing their way with One Second/Host/Believe In Nothing. From there however they have been heading back to their best. For me, I dont know what their best is except to say I really like every album I have, which is each one since Gothic.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›