Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now flip flip flip Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 6 November 2013
***UPDATE***
Well it's now over a year since I purchased this mighty fine DVD-drive. I've been putting it through its paces this past year, and it still works a dream. Some have mentioned and/or complained how noisy it can be... and yes, sometimes it can be noisy, but in my experience, for the most part, it's quite quiet, in fact the last time I burned a disc (usually the noisiest process on most drives), I couldn't hear a thing, nothing, and my computer is set up to run silent, I only knew it was successful when it had finished and tested the disc.

I bought this DVD drive to replace a Samsung one which failed after about a year. As I didn't want to go for another Samsung one, I instead opted for this Lite-On one. I won't lie, the price was a very big factor in the final decision to go for this one over all others. The price is cheap for a reason, it's nothing to do with the drive you get, but instead it's to do with the things you don't get, you don't get a retail box, screws, cables and instructions, and all this keeps cost down. My first impressions of this drive were that the eject action is a lot smoother than the one it replaced, the Samsung one was very sluggish from the very day I bought it. So far this is a good purchase, I just hope it lasts as long as my old IDE Philips one (7 years, and still going).

There are 2 slight differences between the DVD drive pictured and the one I received. The first is the shape of the eject button, on the picture the ends are rounded, but on the one I received they are flat. Second, the light on the one pictured is oval and flush with the face-plate, and on the one I received it's small, circular and recessed into the face-plate. These are merely cosmetic differences and should not change the performance of the drive, but it's worth noting.
15 people found this helpful