on 19 January 2010
I bought this to replace a different model - one with an inner 'sieve' container to hold the rice. I was trying to find an exact replacement as I thought that was the best type, but couldn't so I settled for this. I'm glad I did as I am totally delighted with it - it produces great rice, better than my previous version, and it is solidly made and should last years.

Looking at it, you could be forgiven for thinking it is little more than a microwaveable bowl, so why buy it? Well, it has an inner lid which seems to do something clever with condensing the steam, keeping the right amount of water in the pot to cook perfectly. I'm not too sure of the exact science, but it certainly works a lot better than a simple bowl and it is also far better made than regular microwave pots.

It doesn't have much in the way of instructions, but if you start on 1 volume of rice + 2 of water, you won't go far wrong. You can reduce the water somewhat if you are cooking more than a single measure of rice, but you don't need to be too precise as it seems very tolerant of having a bit too much or little. We've never yet had a duff batch of rice from it. Although it doesn't claim to be a vegetable steamer, it does an excellent job of doing that too. I just follow the times given in my microwave instructions (or via Google) and get good results.

I love it - it's fast, solidly built, easy to clean, and produces really good rice. At this price, it's a bargain, and I would certainly by another if anything happened to my current one.
0Comment| 180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?