on 9 August 2014
I found a copy of this book in my local library this very morning and I am so glad that I did. It is jam packed with everything a genealogist or photography buff could ever wish to know about old photographs.
We all have them right, the box of old family photos in the attic or stuffed in a cupboard somewhere? Well, get them out and you will be sure to find Jayne Shrimpton's book a massive resource to help you, at the very least, put a rough date to your mystery photographs.
Broken up into four parts: Dating Family Photographs, Studying Family Photographs, Picturing Past Lives and Looking After Family Photographs, this book is an absolute treasure trove of information from visual image fashion clues, family wedding photographs, wartime photographs, and investigating photographers and studios. Every page you turn will delight, my favourites pages were the "walking photographs" which I have of my own grandmother and great-grandparents at Yarmouth Beach front.
I thoroughly and whole-heartedly recommend this gem of a book.
What's this?