on 15 March 2013
Trust me, despite what follows this is a good quality printer. I'm an accountant (yes, I know, I've already heard it) and I needed a mono laser printer for home use as I'm self employed. I don't need a huge, all bells and whistles printer, just something nice and simple for generating hard copy files. And, by and large, this is what this printer does. Good quality printing and relative cheap to buy and to run. Wireless setup was nice and easy and took less than 30 minutes and worked first time. Looking at some of the other reviews here, I may have been lucky of course. Print quality was better than I expected and more than adequate for my needs.

However. The problem arose a couple of days after setup. For background purposes, I use Excel 2010 a great deal and I needed to print files for four near identical companies with Excel files brought forward from last year. I printed three of these files with no issues whatsoever. The fourth was not so easy. For some reason which I still cannot identify, the Excel spreadsheet could not be printed properly. I don't use the printer in Eco mode as the output is too small for others to read. However, the printer preferences all reverted to Eco mode without being edited by myself. I reset them to the settings I wanted but the output was still Eco mode - two pages to a side and double sided. After wasting over two hours investigating and at a time when I have deadlines to meet, I found the problem. The page setup in Excel had been changed to portrait from landscape for certain sheets. Also, if I go into the printer preferences via Excel, they are all set up as Eco mode. This is extremely annoying as I haven't done this - I can only assume that this has been done by the Samsung printer drivers. The end result is that I now need to go through over 30 tabs on the Excel spreadsheet and change the Eco mode defaults and page layout. Time consuming and extremely annoying. If it happens again, I will be returning the printer.

So, as the heading says, good product, poor software.

Amendment to original review
Since I noted the above issue, I've started to have wireless network issues. The problem seems to arise if I don't use the printer for several hours. If it has been dormant it refuses to print even though, on the face of it, it has a wireless connection to my PC. This is extremely annoying and there doesn't seem to be a solution. Samsung's website is next to useless and the only help option seems to be to call their helpline at £1.70 a minute. This is not happening. So, my review is down from 3 stars to 2. And it only gets 2 stars because of the quality of the print during its intermittent productive spells.

Further amendment to original review
I probably shouldn't amend this review whilst in a bad mood but....

I've spent 45 minutes this morning trying to get it to print wirelessly with no success at all. And then, having decided to dig out my old inkjet, it printed without warning. I've done a calculation as to how much this printer has cost me in wasted time and it is over 3 times the original cost of the printer. So, although it pains me to give up, I will be buying another printer and it won't be a Samsung. And I'm reducing the rating to 1 star. Samsung UK support is almost non existent so I've used email support via their US presence with no success despite their Tech's best efforts - he can't be faulted.
11 Comment| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?