on 10 October 2013
I am not sure if I am well qualified to review this book as I am not Irish, have only visited Dublin and have no knowledge of the Irish political or newspaper scene all of which feature extensively in Dunphy's memoirs.

I know of him simply as a skilful, slightly built midfield play-maker at York, Millwall and Reading who I watched in my youth and then as the author of a groundbreaking account of the angst and reality of being a footballer. "Only a Game" changed the way I looked at the sport and opened my eyes as to how footballers thought and were treated ,generally as replaceable serfs.

His new book is again beautifully written and indeed paints elegiac pictures of his poor but happy childhood. It then provides one of the best written accounts I have read about a football career and how he served at the whim and behest of a variety of megalomaniac managers and chairmen.

Not without learning pains he then reinvents himself as a writer and journalist where he is not slow to castigate cant and hypocrisy wherever he finds it.

There is much here about his feud with Jack Charlton who he thinks brought Irish football back into the dark ages despite his success.

The book ends abruptly in 1990 so there is hopefully more to come and more gaps to fill.

Whilst as I said a proportion of this book was lost on me, more than enough remained for me to luxuriate over - a lovely, lyrical and thought provoking read that demonstrated Dunphy against the world and how he sometimes but not always came out on top.
0Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?