on 31 October 2004
Bofore buying this album, I had not heard any of Meshell's work - my decision to buy was based purely on reviews - however, I am so glad I did decide to do so. This CD is one I don't think I could live without. Despite being nearly five years since release, the tracks remain to sound modern and new. Meshell has a fantastice voice, and her lyrics are amongst some of the best I have ever heard - her tracks are all intelligent, honest, and some are painfully sad.
This album is certainly about the tragic side of love, the majority of the songs being about love gone wrong. However, despite this the album is not depressing! There are tracks which are truly beautiful for their simplicity ( e.g. "Beautiful )and there are tracks which portray the happier side to relationships ( e.g. "Satisfy" ).
I don't understand why Meshell's music has not taken off in England - this is a woman who has bags of talent. Perhaps it is because she does not shy away from being so honest - for example, in the track "Faithful", the lyrics include, "I believe my lies are truth / Why won't you eat what you are fed. . . No one is faithful I am weak / I go astray." To me, this shows fragility and what it is to be human - that emotions are never simple and some times people make bad decisions in relationships.
This is a fantastic album. If you enjoy soul music at all, I suggest you go out and get yourself a copy.
What's this?