on 27 July 2004
Just got this for my 40th birthday. Happy birthday to me. Hurrah!

I'd had it sitting on the wish list for a few months because I liked the first track (On the Road again) and the various Best Ofs on amazon.com were getting good reviews. Maybe there was a bit of me expecting to be disappointed. But I was pleasantly surprised. My kid sister has managed to pull out a winner.

You know how you sometimes buy a cd and find that there's a track on it that you know and like but didn't expect to be on there? Happened to me this time. That older grittier version of Bryan Ferry's "Let's Stay Together" with different lyrics that comes up on adverts on the telly? It's here. Track 9. I'm well chuffed.

The rest of the tracks were new to me but strangely familiar in places. Amphetamine Annie sounds like The Hunter in disguise, My Crime (I think it was that track) sounds like Hoochie Coochie Man in disguise and Fried Hockey Boogie sounds like the intro to La Grange by ZZ Top. Most of the album in fact hits well developed pleasure spots.

The cd insert was lousy though. No lyrics, no listing of band members and no track times. Given that 13 of the tracks are standard 2-3 minute fare but that track 11 (the ZZ Toppy one) goes on for 15 minutes and the final track for 20 minutes you'd have thought they'd say something.

That last track (Parthenogenesis) is one that I'll be skipping in future. 20 minutes of what can only be described as "experimental" music - the sort of thing Pink Floyd did between the Sid Barret days and Dark Side of the Moooooo.... when they'd have 7 minute tracks of people cooking breakfast.

On balance, though, 4 stars. Tracks 1 and 9 are classics and only one (long) track of filler.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

August 2008 - Worth adding that Going to the Country is currently featuring in an ad on the telly for a supermarket (can't remember which) where there are 100 or so people going for a picnic with a giant picnic blanket. You know the one.
35 people found this helpful