on 14 July 2013
Another great instalment in the "Iron Druid" series. I feel I should apologise for giving only 4 stars but as I said in another review, I rarely give 5 stars and for me, 4 stars means that the book is an exceptionally good read. The overarching plot continues to develop with an internal consistency that is admirable over a series like this.

The characters continue to hold my interest and affection, mostly because the author allows them to grow and develop but also because they are just so darned likeable. As someone who has read reasonably widely about the world's mythologies I have yet to find any interpretation that strikes me as awkward or contrary to my own thoughts around the key figures who weave their way in and out of the story.

The passion of the Druids for the earth and their relationship with Gaia is particularly well-written - and in case anyone thinks that pushes the story into neo-pagan namby-pamby land, let me assure you it is nothing of the kind. The writing around this relationship is perceptive, as is the musing by the main character about his relationship with the Morrigan.

The word "whimsical" kept coming into mind as I considered how best to write this review; humorous, quirky, quaint, witty and playful. All the synonyms are apt description of a book that really is a delight to read.
What's this?