on 1 December 2012
Forgive me for the background story - I select all my portables on the basis of maximum battery life and this was bought as a replacement for my much beloved Samsung NC10 Netbook which I had originally upgraded to 2GB RAM. That Samsung unfortunately was blighted by the infamous "white screen" issue and had become virtually unusable towards the end and looked like a Mad Max gadget thanks to my technical attempts to solve the issue, not to mention chronic left hand pain and increasing deformity for me having to twist the screen to get any sort of image! To its credit, despite using a now ancient Intel Atom N270 CPU, it was fairly nippy, especially with the extra RAM and I could run MS Office 2007 with the best of 'em. It could also play most movies back with sound in synch except for movies taken direct from a camera. Upload to You Tube and it would be smooth though.

Which brings me onto the Asus Eee PC 1015CX. Its battery life seems to be excellent and it has a bright, vibrant and clear screen which was an unexpected bonus. It is also light, seemingly well made and designed and satisfying to the touch with user friendly materials and nice textures for the plastics used underneath. That, sadly, is where the good news ends.

I will never for the life of me understand why the ch**** at AsusTek (a highly respected company by the way) saw fit to restrict the memory upgradeability of this machine. It has 1GB soldered on and that's it. No memory upgrade slots, no nothing. Want a memory upgrade? Their message to you is G.A.F.Y. as Michael O'Leary of Ryanair would say.

So therefore, the machine must work brilliantly on just 1GB and no more, right? Seeing as so many brilliant Taiwanese minds have pored over and contemplated it from every angle....right?

Well yes, provided you have the patience of ancient stone statues and get a special pleasure from watching a blinking blue hard disk light for hours on end before anything happens. The whole thing locks up like lock-jaw and you might as well go away, have your dinner and come back.

And this is virtually straight out of the box by the way. I haven't installed anything else on it other than the Google Chrome browser and activated Trend Micro anti-virus by the way and the thing already runs on bootup at between 75 and 85 percent memory usage. It lives, plays and splashes about in the swap file in other words, as if its halcyon days were to be found there. This is the reason why I haven't bothered to even install MS Office on it yet. I doubt it could cope although it allegedly has a far more powerful Atom processor than my ancient Samsung.

It is sadly gathering dust now somewhere. I don't particularly mind that it comes with a penny-pinching Windows 7 Starter which doesn't even allow you to change the background but the instability indicated by the constant Adobe Shockwave failures in both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome did it for me.

This thing is practically unusable and Asustek deserves to be punished for inflicting brainless stinginess on its products. Some idiotic manager needs to be fired and things may improve once again. I hope....
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.