on 26 August 2013
My husband and my great joy is to read aloud to each other, we read a great variety of books from classics, humorous, historical, crime or stories on the human condition. I had sometime ago been recommended this volume by an American friend who spoke highly of it and thought we may enjoy it.

Although it took sometime to get round to it I can only say this was an error on our behalf for this book is just outstanding not just for it's literary merit but for the tale of a mans life, an ordinary life with little hiatus nor acts of daring do, a character who the reader finds themselves have quite strong views about.

One of the wonderful things about this book was the animated discussions it brought about between my husband and me as to our thoughts for Stoner, we both came from a different stance on his life but by the end of the book we both felt the same and regret it had come to an end. This book most definitely will not be past on to a charity shop but stay on our shelves to be dusted off and read again.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink