2.0 out of 5 stars Undocumented detrimental effect?, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Replens MD Post-Menopause Vaginal Moisturiser - 12 Applications (Packaging May Vary) (Personal Care)
I was advised to try Replens by my GP for my vaginal dryness. I did so for a number of weeks according to instructions and gradually became aware of a sore feeling in my vagina, as though there was something there. On inspecting my vagina, my GP found a mass of white matter at the top of my vagina, a bit like cottage cheese (I have no cervix as I had a vaginal hysterectomy last year). Vaginal swabs of this were negative and we have both come to the conclusion that this was a massive build-up of Replens - and we got rid of it by gentle repeated manual removal. I am now OK.
I have stopped using Replens, as has my friend who had recently started to use it, as she has now been put off by my experience.
HReplens MD Post-Menopause Vaginal Moisturiser - 12 ApplicationsReplens Md Vaginal Moisturiser 6 ApplicatorsReplens MD Vaginal Moisturiser 35g Tube & Reusable Applicatoras anyone else had this problem?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jan 2011, 10:16:27 GMT
Janie4cats says:
I have recently been using Replens and thought I would investigate re. the problem you have and found, yes, there is a white crumby residual so did a manual cleanse. I put it down to drying out of the cream and thought by using it every 3 days it would remain greasy. I am going to email the supplier.

Posted on 20 Jan 2011, 11:07:16 GMT
Tinksjane says:
I am very positive about the product, but I agree there is a residue that builds up and who knows but this could cause further irritation for us and make it debatable as to whether there is a point to using it. I have only experienced a small residue, but have looked into it and the manufacturer does state that this can happen. Alternative products such as Sylk have also got good reviews and I have also used this, but it needs reapplication alot more often than replens and I experienced a burning sensation using it.

Posted on 26 May 2011, 16:02:38 BST
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2011, 16:10:30 BST
Avid reader says:
Same thing happened to me, thick grey thick clumps - maybe it was how I used it but it me right off. I'm now taking Omega 7 capsules which have helped a lot, also Vogel Agnus Castus drops which stop the hot flushes instantly if I take it every morning - I found the tablets didn't work, only the Vogel drops which is a bit expensive but worth it. I am also using Serenity natural progesterone cream which helps with all the symptoms and especially the moods and low energy. Hope this helps.

Posted on 30 Sep 2011, 19:36:49 BST
Betty says:
The cottage cheese like residue is Replens shedding the dry cells in the vagina walls.
This can be confused with Thrush especially if there is discomfort.
Replens can't treat a vaginal infection so this has to be dealt with separately.
Therefore, if there is soreness it might be worth eliminating whether the Replens ingredients are a source of irritation or checking the clinic for an infection.
I use Replens to great satisfaction. It has a good ph/acid balance and tends to eliminate the occurrence of Thrush.

Posted on 26 Nov 2011, 13:44:09 GMT
Hi,

I tried this product, the first time I used it. I experienced white clumpy deposits resembling cottage cheese. I tried it 3 days later and it happened again. I have not used it since, like you it has put me off. I emailed the manufacturer but as yet have received no reply.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2011, 13:56:11 GMT
Betty says:
Replens md vaginal gel pre-filled applicator 12 packI have used this product for 1 year. In that time I have had varying degrees and different discharge.
Initially the Replens ran from my body indicating that I wasn't particularly dry or my body was adjusting to its use.
More recently I have no discharge and if anything only noticed the clumpy cottage discharge very rarely.
I have no irritation from this product, ie itching, soreness, inflammation and I think it is quite helpful.
I am unable to use vaginal replacement hormone therapy nor HRT, because of a health condition.
I combine Replens with local lubrication for intimacy as and when required.

I much prefer to use the pre filled applicators as there are no methylparaben preservative in this product.

I would phone Replens as they can get a chemist to speak to you if you require in depth reassurance about the product and its ingredients.

Good Luck

Posted on 27 Jan 2012, 12:59:17 GMT
J. Edwards says:
I had a similar bad reaction to this product, in fact the internal cottage cheese even turned black in places - most alarming. I spoke to the manufacturer and they put it down to my intolerance to the preservative - methyl paraben - in this particular product. I switched to the individual applicators with no preservative and these have been much better. Still a little burning and cottage cheese but more like what you'd expect from the pamphlet description and nothing like what I'd experienced previously. I'd recommend others to try the single applicators, despite being very expensive!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2012, 14:14:10 GMT
Dubbyagee says:
Woo - you poor thing. As for me and my work colleague who had a terrible time, we've just decided to avoid it all completely. I really don't want any cottage cheese at all - worse than the dryness we'd tried to improve. At least I still have HRT to help and there are other products around to help as well. Wonder if the manufacturers will eventually manage to improve their product to avoid all problems?

Posted on 18 Aug 2012, 14:08:19 BST
I use Replens regularly and am positive about it. Despite being on HRT (my GP will not supply me with Replens and the HRT) I still suffer from vaginal dryness and this product makes intimate relations possible and stops vaginal soreness. I do experience the build up of the product but am very happy to accept this as a side effect of its use. I have tried other products such as Sylk but these were not as effective.

Posted on 14 Nov 2012, 09:17:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Nov 2012, 09:19:26 GMT
juicyjan says:
...the 'build up' is actually the shedding of compacted skin cells which cannot eliminate naturally when vagina is dry if you read the information leaflet...l too experienced this the first few weeks, but over time , due to remoisturization, this has lessened greatly. Come on ladies!..stop scare mongering and start ENJOYING the benefits! (note my name!)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›