5.0 out of 5 stars Creative - back on form, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Creative Sound Blaster Zx 116dB PCIe Gaming Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp and Desktop Audio Control Module (Accessory)
I write this review having replaced my trusty, 10 year old Audigy 2 Platinum with this Sound Blaster ZX....

I skipped the X-fi generation of products, as although the reviews were great, I read a lot about bad drivers. I also don't get to play games so much these days so the Audigy 2 was fine.

I then got Windows 7 a couple of years back, and while there were drivers for Audigy 2, things weren't always right. After one system wipe and Windows reinstall, the Audigy's software no longer wanted to hear my mic input (so killed skype use) when it had been fine in Windows 7 prior to the wipe. Sometimes the speakers went buzzy and I'd have to open the SB control panel, switch to 2 speaker output and then back to 5.1 to clear it. So obviously a software issue.

At this point I began looking for a more modern and replacement card. Knowing that Windows Vista and 7 had changed the way soundcards are accessed and used, a lot of hardware features on Audigy and X-Fi lines were kinda redundant now.

So I was looking at Asus, and Xonar.
But none of their offerings quite offered what I wanted in terms of all-round features, software, or physical socket outputs from the cards.

Creative then had their Recon range.... which just sounded underpowered and audio quality somewhat of a drop from prior cards let alone their competition.

Well, with the newer Z (and ZX in this case) range, (let alone the ZX-R), they've sorted that out. Even if the cards are based on the same sort of tech as the Recon line, they've got the audio quality much higher. I got it plugged in. Software installed hassle free, and it just works. And it works so well, and the clarity is so much greater that I found myself listening to my favourite tunes while I work, which I'm most familiar with, and there is so much more detail, and so much less noise and hiss.

I've not tried it with games, as the card went into my graphics workstation. I am hoping it works well for games as I'll likely buy another one of these cards for my 'desktop' machine which does gaming.

But for everything else I have tried, I really couldn't be happier. Its sound quality is great, the drivers are stable, and it just works like it should.

Creative Labs are back on form.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]