VINE VOICEon 28 March 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although I am writing this as a Vine reviewer I should point out that I am totally new to digital painting but I have been doing Matte digital art in Adobe Photoshop for a few months. My computer runs on Windows 7 Pro and it has 16 GB RAM as well as a good 3D graphics card. Essentially I had the computer made to process very large images using the full 4-core capability of Photoshop. So I am very much a new boy on the block as far as painting is concerned. My computer runs and makes 3D images without any issues.

There have been reports of this program (X3) having a noticeable delay between brush stroke and it appearing on the page. I have not experienced anything like that. Every stroke is immediately on the page and I suspect that those experiencing any delay must be due to computer performance.

When I first started using X3 I did so via a Wacom graphics tablet. My first words were "Wow" as the paint flowed over the page. I have since followed some of the free tutorials on the Corel web site and used numerous mediums and brush sizes. My experience has been that this is the nearest thing to real painting that I have ever experienced - just without the mess. You have to be just as careful about what you do but the good thing is you can delete any mistakes, The tutorials are very good but occasionally miss one step out that has to be worked out with a bit of lateral thinking. Having said that I on my first attempt I converted a Photoshop PSD image into a painting within one hour with a result that I was really pleased with. I find the compatibility with Photoshop very useful indeed because each program has its own strengths and this feature gives you the benefit of both programs.

It has to be said that this program is not a toy or some kind of cheap gimmicky program. It is a very serious program with what seem to be endless options in colours, mediums and brushes etc. If you cannot, as an artist, find what you want in this program I would be very surprised indeed. Because it's not a toy for people like me the tutorials are an essential feature to help you to get to grips with it. It's layout is very similar to Photoshop and that helped me considerably. Despite it being a complex program I think if you are interested in doing any form of digital art then this program should be right at the top of your list - it is superb in all aspects.

If I can once again use Photoshop as a guide (because it is the industry standard in so many areas) I would call Corel X3 the Photoshop of digital art. Art is where its strengths are and it does it very well indeed. The big advantage for me is being able to use the same image in both programs. I was recommended by my son, who is a designer, to get Corel Paint some years ago and he said that it worked well with the Wacom graphics tablets. I can confirm that it works like a dream with the Wacom tablet and I can easily see why designers and artists pick Corel Painter programs to do their work.

As a rank beginner to digital art I have been blown away by the capabilities of this program. It rightly deserves its reputation as a first class art program. If you are starting out in digital art like me then I doubt that you would ever want anything else. It is simply superb, free flowing and accurate. The official description given by the program manufacturers is very truthful and can be trusted in its description. In short I have not found anything to complain about at all, which is very unusual for me. Sometimes you just come across an absolute gem of a product and Corel X3 is one of those items. The manufacturer should be very proud of their product and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to do digital art in any form.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.