99 of 108 people found the following review helpful
An amazing remake of a classic!,
This review is from: V - Season One  [DVD]  (DVD)
It has to be a said that it is hard to find new sci fi ideas these days, everything seems to have been done and hence the remake here.
Since the 1980's when the origional series was aired, technology, opinion and sci-fi have changed and that is what this remake is; up to date.
Fot those in to Sci-fi it will not disappoint with its central focus on the outer space aliens who wear a rather convincing mask of peace and serenity to those humans on earth. But for those of us who are not into the whole Sci-fi gig, there is plenty of action and drama with so many twists and turns that you truely do not know what is around the corner or rather in the next episode.
This series draws parrallels with our society and I think provides a link and allegory for hysteria and peoples growing concern with mistrust in society today which is evidently shown through the so called peaceful aliens. When in fact they are ripping skins off humans and their own people who stand against the plans in the rebellion called the 5th Collumn and the V's leader Anna is planning more than providing healing and love for humans. Think more along the lines of raping the earth.
This series is packed full of everything that is needed to keep you hooked while learning what is going on and growing attached to the characters. You identify with the characters and their situations and because it is from all walks of life; from an FBI agent to a priest to news anchor to a teenager, there is something and someone for everyone. It is extremly realistic in its perception of alien invasion should it so happen today, it is believable and that is what makes it a watch for those of us into sci fi or not. It is not hugely fast paced but it does not draw it out either and there is always something going on and some new twist developing.
So whether you are into the aliens dubbed: THE VISITORS/V's, or not, it doesn't matter, this series will entertain you.
It is already successful in America and you can find it on the Sci-Fi channel on a Tuesday at 10pm here in the UK.
It is definetly one to watch, i promise you will not be dissapointed! Especially when you see the season finale! :)
* Addition - Just to let everyone know who may be interested, V Season 2 starts on the 24th of March 2011!!!! On the Syfy Channel! *
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Apr 2010, 12:10:54 BST
I found this new v series terrible .. poor special effects , bad acting, rushed story-lines it falls flat on its face only after 5 episodes.
In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2010, 10:58:41 BST
Well everyone I know who has been watching it or is watching it now seems to enjoy it but of course there is no taking away from the original series. This one has been spiced up and dramatised for 21st century viewing. Everyone is different and there will be people who will stay true to the original. I didnt think the special effects were bad and the acting I thought was amazing, especially Elizabeth Mitchell who shines in this.
Posted on 13 Aug 2010, 12:12:20 BST
J. Kristensen says:
Though, I don't think it would be very difficult to actually come up with new sci-fi ideas for movies and mini-series. I just think that some business men think that picking and old success and remaking it will be the safe bet. Often it is, Battlestar Galactica is a point in case. It just shot straight to the top of my all time favorite series.
I personally think that the rich, wonderful universes created in computer games could easily be translated to the screen or at least inspire by providing a massive lore. Let me just give a couple of examples:
* Toys for Bob's old "Star Control II" was one of the richest, funniest games ever and could easily compete with stuff like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
* Blizzard's StarCraft (1+2) is one of the most amazing games ever and with characters immensely likeable. Sure, Starship Troopers borrowed a little from the Mengsk'ish terran dominion, but the bugs were in no way a match for the real Zerg. Or if someone wants to go to the source: Games Workshop's whole Warhammer 40.000 enterprise is quite worthy, and they the Tyrannids quite resemble the Zerg.
* Then theres EA Games' recent Mass Effect (1+2, and 3 coming soon). Truly an epic sci-fi story and the universe is very cleverly put together.
* And no way we can get around the "retro sci-fi" game Bioshock from 2K Games. The whole atmosphere is unparallelled and nasty, combining a kind of 50's-60's thing like Stubbs the Zombie with crazy opponents and a very weird tech called plasmids.
* Dead Space from EA Games could also be a very nice space horror movie. The story is somewhat shallow, but the whole concept - for a change - that you have to shoot of the limbs and tentacles of the monsters was rather new, and they really were nasty monsters.
Posted on 4 Sep 2010, 19:40:03 BST
Good Review. Do you know how many episodes comprise this first season?
Posted on 4 Sep 2010, 19:40:22 BST
[Deleted by the author on 15 Sep 2010, 18:26:22 BST]
In reply to an earlier post on 15 Sep 2010, 11:14:08 BST
Last edited by the author on 16 Sep 2010, 10:25:51 BST
Hi there :)
Thank you very much, I am glad you enjoyed it! I think there are 12 episodes in the first series, hope that helps :)
And to everyone else Season 2 is supposed to start in Novemeber!!! Can not wait! :)
In reply to an earlier post on 15 Sep 2010, 18:28:33 BST
[Deleted by the author on 29 Dec 2010, 12:17:53 GMT]
Posted on 13 Dec 2010, 22:30:02 GMT
Mr President says:
The only weak link in the show is Tyler - his wide eyed puppy routine throughout the series has made him a figure of hate amongst fans of this new series. We can only hope that in the second series Anna reveals her lizard form and has him for lunch.
Posted on 29 Dec 2010, 10:41:02 GMT
J. M. H. Hulsen says:
It is almost the same if you have the original you don't have to by thisone
In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2011, 23:07:06 GMT
Just to let everyone know who may be interested, V Season 2 starts on the 24th of March!!!! On the Syfy Channel!
Link here :