3.0 out of 5 stars Promises more than it delivers, 19 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Tefal Quick Cup - Hot and Cold Water in 3 Seconds (Kitchen & Home)
This is my second review of this product as I thought an update was needed after my first one. You cannot place a second review of a product so I have had to replace my original one by editing it. My original review was placed on the 19th Aug and now, less than two months later, I have a replacement in my kitchen because the first just stopped working. It stopped mid-flow, whilst filling a mug and the red light stayed on. It banged as though something blew electrically but the fuse was still fine as the red power light was on. I thought it would be interesting to see if the second product was just as noisy and spurty and vibrated as much. It doesn't.

This is slightly quieter and smoother as it dispenses water and the water flows in more of a continuous stream than the broken version, although not completely smoothly. Perhaps that one was always faulty. The new one splashes a little less than the previous one but still splashes nontheless. I still have to wipe the worktop dry.

Great I thought, until I drank my coffee. Yes this one is smoother in dispensing the water without the spurts of steam but it is not hot. If you don't drink it as soon as it is made it is too cold within minutes. If you don't have milk then you may be ok but I do. I suspect the dispensing shortfall of the previous version was due to it heating up the water to a higher temperature but that is what a kettle is for, isn't it? Add 20 seconds in a 900 Watt microwave and our energy savings with this product are being cancelled out. The added inconvenience of reheating is something I may have suspected if this was a cheap product by an unknown brand but it is a premium price over many kettles on the market.

It is no accident that the advertisement for this product on TV shows a graphical simulation of how this product works rather than a real product actually dispensing hot water.

My wife reminded me that the first Quick Cup I bought had to go back to the shop because a piece of the plastic water container was broken off in the box when we got it home so in fact we are on our third Quick Cup. When I took this one back with the receipt, the sales assistant asked "hadn't I already returned this?" Only two out of the three I've brought home have been used and so far it scores zero out of two.

I can't change my original rating of 3 stars because I am editing an original review but now I would rate this one or two stars. A second star for a good idea badly executed.

Don't get suckered in by the carbon footprint guilt trip, until there is a product released that works effectively. Yes, strictly speaking, water for coffee shouldn't be boiling but we wouldn't dream of using the water out of our hot water taps. My latest model doesn't seem too far from that temperature and I should really take it back for a refund. It's not fit for purpose... I think they say.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Dec 2007 10:40:23 GMT
L. Zhang says:
Yes, you are exactly correct on the temperature of the water it produces.

That was my concern before I bought it as well. However I think I was cheated by the demonstraction in the Comet shop as the demo unit give about 90 degree of Water! However I didn't realise that it is a demo unit which is running all the time!!!!

I had my unit and used it. My girlfriend moaning about the temp isn't high enough for her teabag!
Yes, it is too low for teabag and coffer with milk!

Posted on 11 Feb 2008 21:48:15 GMT
Karen Bell says:
thanks for the comment - i had actually placed one in my online shopping basket here and was about to hit the pay button when i decided to check out the reviews - i too need my water a bit hotter and wont be purchasing this item - cheers for saving a single parent 50 quid! - Karen Scott, Belfast

Posted on 2 Apr 2008 12:41:28 BDT
Polymath says:
Thanks for this comprehensive and frank review which exactly echoes my own brief encounter with this shoddy product.

It splutters: the water is barely hot enough, even if you heat the cup first; and after only four squirts of 'hot' water, there was a flash and the element packed up.

Thank God for quick boil electric kettles ...

Posted on 9 Jul 2008 23:16:40 BDT
I bought this thinking it would be a great addition to my new kitchen. It was not. It was noisy, the water was not hot enough to make a good cup of tea, and like some of the other comments my tap water was also hotter than this machine. It was good for the kids to use and they liked making "warm" drinks. I do not think that it is worth the money at all. I even left it for the builders to use when we were renovating and they thought it was a joke. Tefal is a good brand and they generally make great products that are worthy of the name, but they have let themselves down big time on this occasion. my advice is to just buy a proper kettle........

Posted on 13 Jul 2008 01:00:02 BDT
T. Jones says:
Thanks for a very informative review..I for one love a piping(boiling) hot drink so am glad that I took the time to read your review, had I bought it ad hoc I would have been truly dissapointed to be dished up with a cup of something that would have been close to luke warm - eeurgh!

Posted on 13 Jan 2012 21:22:29 GMT