4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful but flawed, 23 May 2014
I ummed and ahhed about buying this for ages. I checked out any reviews I could find. These were variable, some positive some negative, so I ummed and ahhed some more. Techies I spoke to said 'get a standard ultra book' but I loved the look and concept of this model and finally decided to stop dithering and follow my heart!

Only had it a couple of days but so far....I love it! It is beautiful and sleek and seems to be able to do just about anything I want. I should add I am not particularly up with the latest technology (don't have a touch phone or a tablet) so the windows 8 change is huge for me. I am not sure what I think about it but accept I am going through a learning phase.

Regarding the T11 - I don't find the screen reliably sensitive to my touch (hence four stars). The digitiser stylus is the best way to interact with the screen. I find this a little annoying to pick up and put down but I think when I have completed upgrading to windows 8.1, I will probably use the keyboard when working and the touch screen facility when I am on the move. So not sure this will ultimately affect me.

I disagree with some of the negative comments I have read. I think that the on button on the side works perfectly and that it is in the right place. The power pack was not half as large as one review suggested and I thought compared to what I am used to, it was very light and neat and not at all an issue to carry around. However, I don't really feel it connects too well in to the computer and I fear I could be too rough when inserting it. I also find the wifi connection to be excellent.
I do agree that the port covers are unsatisfactory. I did not mind them initially but with experience, I find them annoying to open and fiddly to close up and I am skeptical about how long they will last.

Will update on thoughts when I have got everything set up and have been using it for a few months.

update 1 - registering my vaio and setting up recovery system. Nightmare! The sony vaio site only partially worked. A search round the internet indicated that others had similar problems...... over a period of months !!!!
I imagine if I wanted to buy something it would be a different story. Not impressed. I did eventually get sorted but it was an exhausting haul through the internet working out what the problem was and search out what other did to solve it.

Update 2: finally beat the Sony battle and made a recovery disk. all is now working and I am generally happy. I now like the keyboard though it took a bit of getting used to. I work with an optical mouse because the mouse pad left and right click are annoyingly hard to push. I find the keyboard a little unresponsive so you have to check when starting to work that the first letter press has been picked up. PPTx keeps crashing. I think this is a microsoft problem but once that is fixed I think I will be very happy. Still would not change vote to 5 stars but happy enough to keep it at 4 stars.

update 3. I had annoying problems with the keyboard just not functioning when the battery should have been fully charged. Sorted in the end I think ... a case of updating drivers. I think I have also solved the pptx crashes... again by updating drivers. At this stage I have settled into using the computer and I am back to liking it very much. I do have a gripe though about the apps. (a) Game apps that I am never going to use pre-loaded. I have spent some time getting rid of them (only moderately successful on this) (b) multiple apps that all seem to do similar things but from different groups. I find it annoying and confusing. (c) Everything seems to link to a store so you can buy some more of something. I hate the sense of commercialism in my working environment. I guess problems (b) and (c) are both general problems with the way things are going rather than being Sony specific. It is a bit depressing :-( moaning aside though I am happy with the vaio and think it is a lot of fun to use. Still only worth 4 stars though. It is not a perfect toy!.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]