3.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, not a classic but worth a go, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I didn't play the first two games but as this got many good/great reviews I thought I'd give it a go and I just finished it last night.

I can't comment on whether it's better than its predecessors, or what the differences are but this has been covered in other reviews on here anyway so I'll just let you know my impressions.

Pros:

- Big open world with plenty to do to keep you busy for much longer than the story lasts.
- This is a game where some really unexpected things can happen - sneaking up on a guard only to be attacked by a tiger doesn't usually happen in games!
- Decent choice of weapons
- Driving is great fun. Not too realistic, not too gamey. Just great fun.
- Decent choice of gameplay options. You're never forced to be stealthy but it is encouraged. I played half stealth, half guns blazing. There are also lots of side missions and challenges to do that involve hunting, driving, killing enemies with a given weapon, or killing a specific enemy.
- Hunting is good fun and reasonably challenging to start with. I really enjoyed tracking deer and tigers trying not to be seen and picking them off with the bow.
- Engaging story, if a little OTT and cheesy at times.
- Really nice looking environment and good graphics. Facial animations are really good.

Cons:

- Generally quite easy, even on hard. Everything from treasure to items and animals to hunt is shown on the map! This takes a lot of the challenge out of it, though I suppose you could try not to look at it!
- After a while, even though the map is big, it does get a bit repetitive as there are a limited number of enemies and most of their camps are very similar.
- Hunting is good but after a little while there's really no point to keep doing it as it doesn't take long to craft all the ammo pouches, wallets etc and after that there's no need to hunt.
- Similar could be said for currency in the game. You unlock all the weapons eventually anyway so there's not much need to buy any of them, and there isn't much else to buy! I didn't even bother with most of the weapons as the 4 star ones were all easily good enough to take out the enemies who generally are not too tough and you can `takedown' all of them anyway if you're sneaky. All I ever bought was ammo.
- Without spoiling the story I would just say that it was pretty good but a bit immature at times and seemed to be aimed at teens, however some of the content in the game (taking drugs, talking about slavery and sex with prostitutes) was aimed at the over 18 market. So I think they could have chosen who they were really aiming for a bit better.
- The skills were ok but not a huge incentive to unlock them all as they did help but I was managing fine without most of them.
- Not enough landmarks on the map so although it looks great, it's quite samey and I wouldn't know one part from any other even after completing the game!
- Menus are quite poorly designed IMO. I was constantly going in and out of it to change the syringes I had on me and craft new ones and it became a chore.

I did enjoy the game and was taking my time at first until I realised that a lot of the game was quite samey and not that hard, at which point I just blasted through the rest of the story. It even seemed to let me off a few times where I would reach a checkpoint but at the same time whichever companion was with me at the time would die. In most games I would expect to have to do it again but not here, they just let you carry on from the new checkpoint which seemed rather generous!

I really think this game could have been a classic if they added a bit more depth and difficulty. Like being able to craft a syringe that makes an animal follow you for a while and attack enemies. Or putting the weapons you can unlock in enemy camps so you actually have a reason to go and take all of the outposts other than just another box of $14 and traffic cone! Or skills that have some positive effects and some negative to give you a bit of a choice to make rather than just taking all of them because you can. And why they put all of the loot and animals on the map for you to easily find I really don't know.

In summary, if you play this game you will definitely have fun, it's got a lot to offer and the story alone takes about 12 hours or so to finish. I didn't do everything but you could probably put in around 30-40 hours to do everything, and even just driving about doing not much is pretty good fun.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]